Strange Engine Noise !

98 Saturn SL1 - ~ 115 thousand KM (canadian, EH) The engine makes a loud clacking noise when it is - 20 C. Only when I start it up, and then it takes 3 - 5 minutes for the noise to go away. Low on oil, no, using 10-40. Last winter I used 5-40 synthetic, turns over better, but has a tendency to leak or weap.

Is there anything in the valve train that can change noises when it warms ?

Does it have forged pistons ? they can clack.

Maybe a wrist pin ?

Ultimately the engine still has extended warranty, so I would like to have it fixed before something serious happens. Do Saturns have a history of engine problems ? Already had the transmission valve body replaced so I might have a lemon.

Reply to
NoName
10W-40 is a bit thick for -20'C ( -4'F ) ????

The timing chain is tensioned by oil pressure on a cylinder. Thick oil will be slow to load the tensioner. Should not the engine run with 5W-30 per factory spec.?

If the chain is run long and/or at high speed damage can be done.

Reply to
<mcben

Reply to
mcyben
10W40 is too thick, especially for those temperatures. If 5W30 leaks, you should fix the leaks rather than hurting your engine with too-thick oil.

I would guess that the noise may be lifters/lash adjusters starved for lubrication..

Reply to
Robert Hancock

...can the 0W-30 be used in temps that cold? I'm not familiar.

Reply to
Jonnie Santos

I'd run Mobil 1 0W-30 or 0W-40 in that temp. range.

Reply to
mcyben

Not many modern cars recommend 10W40 in winter because it is not designed to be used much below 40F - it gets too thick, as others have mentioned.. The first thing I would try is changing to the oil recommended in your owner's manual - probably 5W30 for winter, if for no other reason than you will likely void your extended warranty by using non-specified lubricants.

Dana

Reply to
Dana Rohleder