There has to be a better oil drain plug gasket

On my 96SL2, I replace the drain gasket about every other oil change. It gets rather shredded by the second oil change. I am not over tightening the plug. Is there a better gasket somewhere that I can use? Thanks, Wayne

Reply to
Wayne

Saturn usually replaces the drain plug when they change the oil, so they should have lots of stock, so get one the next time you change your oil.

Reply to
Skid

Check for rough edges on the plug or mating surface of the pan.

Reply to
Dan Hicks

The last time I was at Saturn and mentioned that same problem, the parts guy handed my about 15 of them, free of charge. Ask!

I would suspect you have a rough spot on the pan. My gasket lasts about 4 changes before I must change it out.

James

Reply to
James1549

Or he may be overtightening the plug.

Reply to
Dan Hicks

I've replaced the gasket only one, maybe two, times in 226,000 miles on my

2000 SL2. Are we talking about the same gasket for the oil drain plug?????

Reply to
<mcben

Reply to
Woobie

Mine is a gray rubber part.

Reply to
<mcben

I had (hopefully past tense) the same problem with my 2000 SL2. It now has 200,000 kms on it, so I've changed the oil a few times.

I found to my surprize (even though it was tearing after a single use) I could get away with not changing it until it was at the point of ripping in half and it still never leaked.

A few oil changes ago I stopped by Canadian tire and bought some of the generic nylon oil plug gaskets (1/2" I think - the OD is just about right too). I installed two as they were a little thin. Over the past 3 changes they have "moulded" to the perfect shape and tightened up on the oil plug threads. They are working perfectly so far.

BTW, my wife's 2000 SW2 with 70,000 kms on it doesn't have the problem at all. It's still on the original plug and gasket - never torn, never leaked.

I examined both oil pans carefully and concluded it must be related to the fact that the SL2's oil pan stamping has a slight rise (not a bur) close to the hole (where the "nut" is attached to the pan). My theory is this causes the (very soft/weak) gasket to get over stressed before the metal OD ring on the plug hits the pan. Even torqueing the SL2's oil plug well below the spec the, gasket would tear every time.

Steve

Reply to
Steve S.