Vue Hybrid *** WARNING ***

I looked at the Vue Hybrid at a recent auto show. Very nice, but for one very significant design aspect that keeps me from buying it. The previous Vue had a compact spare which didn't do the job for me due to winter driving long distances on remote roads. So I judged this Vue only reliable for urban driving.

The current Vue Hybrid takes this spare problem to it's bitter end by eliminating the spare. So I judge this Vue completely unusable.

Reply to
Spam away

Not to mention if you know anything about hybrids, they are a waste. When the hell will we see compact [perhaps bio]diesel engines powering a generator and then an electric only drive system? Grr.

Reply to
HyperCube33 (Life2Death)

Just guessin'... Do ya think they might have used run-flat tires instead?

Reply to
Doug Miller

Isn't that a hybrid? Besides, even if there is a greater benefit to the system you describe (which isn't certain), how does that make current hybrids "a waste?"

Reply to
satyr

I read about a 1,000 mile test on them in the UK last May. They changed tires every 50 miles. >:)

The Hybrid Vue comes with one of those patch injectors, which is good for pin holes.

Reply to
Spam away

Dunno what VUE hybrid you might have seen, but AFAIK, they never had a spare to begin with. Call it Saturn's ingenuity, but they figured that with patch kit and Onstar eliminating the spare was a weight saver. Oh and BTW - run-flats are a thing of the past too many problems, they are unreliable and expensive, wear unevenly and too fast, etc.

Reply to
marx404

I should have also added a question to Spam Away? Um, if you are so shocked that the Hybrid VUE doesn't have a spare, then why aren't you also shocked about the SKY not having a spare? Same concept, and no, neither was the VUE designed for remote camping trips in the frozen tundra. The VUE is an Urban vehicle, which again explains the 7/8 spare in regular VUEs for space and weight savings. Don't worry, replacing the spare with a patch kit isn't a new trend that will take over all Saturn models, lol.

Reply to
marx404

Still a very poor design concept. Ganted on have only used a compact spare twice in over 20 years but it is still nice to have it just in case for piece of mind. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. I do agree though that a fullsized spare is not a must have.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Reply to
HyperCube33 (Life2Death)

Oh, don't get me wrong. Like I said "call it Saturn's Ingenuity"....I think that eliminating the spare altogether is kinda dumb. I was just trying to explain the thought behind it. I really don't think that this deems a WARNING post as the OP did. Hopefully sales consultants will properly explain the missing spare before the sale, so this post IMHO doesn't need the WARNING tag.

Reply to
marx404

The title of the thread should have been Hybrids *** WARNING *** Complete waste of ca$h

Stick with ye ol' petrol and plant a tree. Both the earth and ones self will come out further ahead...

Reply to
BläBlä

Consumer Reports projects that the Civic Hybrid and Prius will actually do a little better than break even over the life of the car. That may or may not work out in any given case but it is not clearly a losing proposition. The bigger question is; why does it have to pay for itself? Nobody demands that the GPS system or the premium radio pay for themselves. If that seems too abstract, how about the engine upgrades that are available on many cars. You pay more money for an engine that gets worse fuel economy on premium gas. Isn't that a huge waste? If someone wants to spend money to get better fuel economy (even if it never breaks even on cost) why does that make it "a waste?" I know a number of people drive hybrids and not one of them bought it to save money.

So how is that not a hybrid? One could just as easily argue that it is not a "true hybrid" if the engine never directly drives the wheels.

FYI, I do know a fair amount about the Honda and Toyota hybrids. Just because they don't meet your narrow definition of 'hybrid' doesn't invalidate what they are.

Reply to
satyr

OOOOooo... I'm impressed. Did they bother to factor in the resale value after 5 years when it needs a new batteries that equal the value of the car? Did they also factor in the increased labor rate shops charge? Doubt it.

The GPS system can be a money saver and maker. For example, it would assist me in finding garage sales and getting to auctions or other places on time without getting me lost and expending more fuel. If it gets me to garage sales sooner for the deals, that allows me to make a profit on eBay. Thats just some of what a GPS could do for me. The radio entertains people so they can keep their sanity. A lump of batteries do not... Maybe if they had some nipple clamps wired up to the batteries some may find the hypebrid batteries entertaining then...

Considering I can buy a new engine and transmission (which I wont need) for the cost of new hypebrid batteries aren't those batteries "a huge waste"?

You answered your own question. All that effort and hassle for no gain equals WASTE.

Everyone that has talked with me about getting a hypebrid thought they would somehow save money. I guess you're rare because everyone you know done it for the fuzzy feeling that they are somehow helping the environment.

Reply to
BläBlä

You would be wrong then. Did you know that the batteries are warranted for 80,000 miles. Based on manufacturer experience they expect the battery pack to last 150,000 to 180,000 miles.

One correction, I said they expect the cars to break even over their life. In fact, the projection is for these two cars to break even after only five years of ownership so the batteries were not a factor and depreciation was only slightly higher for the hybrids.

So would a map. The GPS units cost hundreds or thousands of dollars. You must do a lot of driving in circles for it to save that much gas.

Well, we all have different preferences in entertainment and you are welcome to yours. Some people are entertained by trying to squeeze the most miles out of a gallon of gas and posting it on the Internet.

Not if they save more than their cost in gasoline. You (and a lot of others with no real knowledge or information) are underestimating the life of the batteries. The first hybrids are now over six years old and the batteries are holding up very well.

No effort or hassle, just more money. Just like it costs more money to buy the optional V6 instead of the standard 4. Isn't that a waste? It will never pay for itself.

They are also very intelligent, well educated and have a lot of disposable income. One other difference; they didn't talk with me about getting a hybrid, they just went out and bought one.

Reply to
satyr

Is there something about the Hybrid VUE that makes it impractical to buy and keep one's own spare, if one wants one badly enough?

Reply to
Steve

Yes it is likely that the spare tire storage area is being used by batteries.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Nope, there's enough room in the area where the spare used to be stored for a compact spare, if you're that worried about it. That space is currently occupied by the inflator and flat sealer. Since you won't need them, pull 'em out and drop in a spare.

Personally, it's not a big deal. If I get a flat, I'll call AAA.

I predict that 5 years from now, everybody will be doing this for weight savings.

I love my Green Line. Mileage much better than my 2003 V6, and getting better as it breaks in and the weather gets warmer. -Rick

Reply to
murphy.law

Yes, I surmised that, but is there NO other place in the Hybrid VUE that one could store a spare tire?

Reply to
Steve

There is only so much space in that car and to make room for a spare, you need to take room from somewhere else. Many years ago I owned a few Subarus and they had a good idea. They stored a compact spare above engine under hood. I saw no adverse effect for this after 5 years with one vehicle.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Our family has both a Saturn and we just purchased a Honda Civic Hybrid for my wife. We have no expectation of having the gas savings pay for the extra cost, which was minimal. The premium for the hybrid is about $2000, We will get back approx $1500 in tax credits (not tax deductions, tax credits),

I was interested in the technology aspect of the car, and I feel that it is important to send a message to the manufactures that people will buy these products and that continued R&D will pay off.

-David

Reply to
David Teichholtz