window lift motor

Last summer I replaced the motor to my drivers side window. It worked fine for about 2 weeks then started acting up.

I could roll it down but about a quarter of the way down it would get stuck and there would be a grinding noise. With a little nudge it would continue to go down some more and then get stuck again with the same grinding noise.

On the way up it would stick in the same places making the same noise and once it reached the top it would keep trying to go up as long as I held the switch just grinding away.

That was about 10 months or so ago and finally about two weeks ago I got around to pulling that motor back out of the door gathered my receipt and took it back to Oriley auto parts and exchanged it.

Like I said that was two weeks ago and then today it started doing the exact same thing and getting stuck in the exact same place.

That's two motors that each lasted two weeks before developing the exact same problem. So my question is before I go and install a third motor is there something that I should be looking for that is causing the motors to go out after only two weeks.

I have been brain storming trying to come up with some ideas because I really don't want to be replacing the motor every two weeks.

Could it be a warped regulator, something sticky on the window or in the rubber seals the window slides up and down in causing extra drag, could the tint on the window in anyway be causing this, the track in the door appears to have plenty of grease but perhaps there is some part not obvious at first glance that needs more grease or did I just have the misfortune of getting two defective motors?

The other three motors have been working just fine for 9 years now. Does anyone have any ideas as to why this ONE motor on the drivers door is being so damn picky.

Mark.

Reply to
Zaphod

I don't know, but I'd go to the Saturn dealership and buy one from them instead. It's likely to be more reliable. If it is, then you won't have to keep taking the door apart and replacing the thing.

Reply to
Ratbert

It is not the motor but the little plastic piece in the arm/control lever. You'll need to replace that. About $8 from saturn dealer. Put it in a vis and it will pop on. The motors hardly ever go bad. Sorry you had to learn the hard way.

Reply to
Matt hotmail

I have not pulled the door apart to take a look at the current motor but from the first two times I changed it out I do not recall seeing a little plastic piece that was broken.

I have gone through my Chilton manual but in the section where they show an exploded view of the regulator the parts are not really labeled.

Can you give me some more detail on where this plastic piece is and what I should be looking for?

Reply to
Zaphod

Reply to
Matt hotmail