1954 Champion Starlight

Well, I sure messed that dude up. Took the starter off to check the Bendex, which appeared to be ok. Assembly wasn't too bad, but the brushes were a little difficult to get in place. Reinstalled the starter, and Viola! It clicked but did not spin. Before I had taken it apart, it spun quite well. So, like everything I do that I haven't done before, I will have to take it apart again, and look and see what I messed up. I go through my personal 4 grief cycles:

  1. It doesn't work. It doesn't work. I can't believe it doesn't work.
  2. GDit, I'll just buy a rebuilt/new one.
  3. No, GDit, I'll buy a whole new effin engine. and finally
  4. Try again.

What should I look for?

Steve Vogt

Reply to
Newsgroups

Wish I was going to SB.

Reply to
Newsgroups

My guess is you've got a problem with the brushes, I've had the same thing happen. One may be hung up and is not making contact. You MIGHT be able to fix the problem by just giving the starter a good whack.

Jeff DeWitt

Newsgroups wrote:

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

Maybe the problem isn't in the starter. What is the history of the problem, and when did the starter last work properly? If the battery is weak, or the cables are bad, there may have been enough power to spin the starter when the bendix wasn't engaging. Now that you've fixed the bendix problem, and the bendix does engage, there may not be enough power to spin the starter under load.

Jim Bradley

'64 Daytona HT ?Rerun? snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net Remove HAT to reply

Newsgroups wrote:

Reply to
Jim Bradley

Well--the motor is a little bit locked up. Maybe the starter is working fine and the motor won't turn. It has 98,800 miles on it, and the last time it ran was sometime in 1998. I have to turn the wrapper that is over the brush holes away from the motor, and I will try the whacking thing. That fits my temperament and has provided some success. Wish me luck.

Steve Vogt

Reply to
Newsgroups

One of the great things about working on Studebakers is sometimes the right tool for the job is a bigger hammer

Jeff DeWitt

Newsgroups wrote:

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt