91 Cherokee calipers

What tool do I use to get the front calipers off? Hex wrenches don't seem to fit & I've never done Cherokee brakes before. Thanks.

Reply to
Melodious Thunk

Probably a Torx bit. Sears Craftsman, NAPA, Autozone, etc. will have them.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Thanks, do you know for sure? And what size? I see that there's other Torx bolts on the sway bar etc. For the calipers, the bolt heads are obscured by little rubber dirt protectors... that clearly don't work, since the bolt heads were well-packed with dried mud. I think I got the dirt out, but can't see 'em to be sure or even to figure out what kind of heads they are!

Apparently, per a websearch, the Cherokee Sport used a completely different caliper, mounted w/two 12mm bolts. So I'm asking about the '91 Cherokee Limited 4WD.

Reply to
Melodious Thunk

I'm not sure, but Torx bolts are a favorite of Jeep. This is a recessed thing that you stick the wrench into, correct? If you can get a good look at it, and it is a Torx, it will be star-shaped.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Heh, if I could get a look at it, my head would be about 4 inches! Yes, its recessed and covered with a rubber dust cap.

I'll buy a set of Torx drivers & see if one'll work. Thanks.

Reply to
Melodious Thunk

Be sure you get the kind that work like sockets. You won't be able to get enough power with a screwdriver-type. I'm not familiar with that specific bolt, but it's probably somewhere between t-25 and t-35. Let us know what it is.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

You don't own a mirror?

Reply to
bllsht

,

Apparently not. I happened to replace the pads and rotors on my 1995 Wrangler today. 84,000 miles and hardly any wear at all, but I happened to find it a good time to replace them. The Haynes picture shows Allen head caliper mounting pins prior to 1990, and twelve point cap screws afterwards. Haynes says to use a twelve point box end wrench on the later pins, but it doesn't say which size. My 1995 has half inch head cap screws at this location!

Another way to get a better look at things is to put the vehicle frame on jack stands, remove the tires, and lower the axle you want to work on.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Some use an allen key....

If you cut the steering hard to one side, you should be able to just look at it.

Mike

Mike Romain

Ask to see a set of replacement pins at the autoparts store. Get a socket to fit. If they're anything like the ones on girlfriendzilla's Cherokee, might as well pick up a set... and some vice grips to remove the old ones. Seems, vice grips are the tool of choice on these when the correct socket is not in the tool box. Hers were boogered up enough the socket wouldn't go on...

Reply to
clay

Its just a 7mm allen. I pull them all the time changing broken front shafts on the rocks.

KH

Reply to
Kevin in San Diego