195x75Rx15 Tires

Does anyone know what tire brands are available in this size ?? Also anyone have the wheel paint code for 62-64 Larks (off white) or an equivalent?? Your help is appreciated.

Hal W

Reply to
hal w

Jim Caldwell

The only one listed by Tire Rack is the Goodyear Wrangler ST all-season, at $95 Walmart has it at $105 Discount Tire Diect has none listed in that size.

Closest alternatives in diameter (but wider) are going to be:

205/70-15 (speedo will read 1.4 mph too low at 60 mph) 225/65/15 (speedo will read right, but this tire is just as tough to find as 195/75-15) 215/70-15 (speedo will read 1mph too low at 60mph) 215/65-15 (speedo will read 1.2mph too high at 60mph)
Reply to
WayneC

just did; I would be pleasantly surprised to hear that Michelins were available in that size, but they're currently showing only a Goodyear truck tire available in that size :(

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I have a set of Michelins on the '64 sedan in that size. Check Tire Rack for that size.

Reply to
randee

The only one they list now is a Goodyear wrangler ST They use to have 4 0r 5 brands in that size

5%2F&ratiou&diameter&startIndex=0&search=true&pagelen &pagenum=1&pagemark=1&xy&y&RunFlat=All

Reply to
transtar60xxx

OK, troops, here's the harsh reality: Passenger-car P195/75R15 tires we need for our later Studebakers with factory 4 1/2" wheels are about gone. Cooper was the only manufacturer making them, and did make them in a variety of private labels (for example, Hercules) as well as in the own Trendsetter line. Due to the size proliferation of new-car tires, Cooper discontinued manufacturing anything in the P195/75R15 size about two years ago. Wise folks have been buying up just about any they can find.

My local tire shop has a standing order from me for all the P195/75R15s they can find anywhere, and they've been looking hard all around the country with no luck. I said I'd buy 100 or more if a big lot became available at a decent price that would allow them to be resold without going overboard on the other end as to price.

Coker Tires markets new, "real" P195/75R15 whitewalls (2 1/4" WWWidth) radial in their own line. Unfortunately, they are $152 apiece, plus freight. 6.40 and 6.70 X 15 bias ply are about $30 less. They also market Excelsior Brand imported vintage tires in 6.40 and 6.70X15 for $85 and $88 respectively, but they are blackwall tube type; no whitewalls and you have to buy tubes for them.

The best way to find leftover P195/75R15 Coopers or private-label Coopers is to ask any tire shop you see. Stopping in is much better than calling; if you are THERE, they know you are serious. And if you find a big stash you can't afford, tell someone who can so they can be bought up and made available to Stude folks before they dry up entirely.

Finally, the P195/75R15 Wrangler ST radial available from Tire Rack, Wal-Mart, etc, is a truck tire. It looks like a truck tire and has a truck tire tread, and they are only blackwall (maybe Raised White Letters, too), but certainly no whitewalls of any width. At least they will be new production; any Cooper or private-label Coopers we find now will be at least two years old.

This is a serious problem. Those who have taken my advice and adhered to P195s on their 4 1/2" Studebaker wheels have been very pleased with both ride and appearance. Even a P195 is a shade large for our 4 1/2" wheels, per the Rubber Manufacturers Assn. recommendations I have harped on for years. Both of my 1964 Daytonas (one hardtop, one sedan) have full, matched sets of Cooper-manufactured P195/75R15s on them. That's why I'm looking for more; they can't last forever and I know how nicely the cars sit and perform on them. They are still worth looking for, but you have to look increasingly harder. BP

Reply to
bobcaripalma

Reply to
John Poulos

I had pretty much settled on Yokohama Avid Touring whitewalls in 215/70-15 about 3 months back and had a quote from several stores; meantime I ran into some snags while trying to get my Avanti road-worthy. When I went back to the low-priced guy today, he gave me a price $75 higher per set ($430).... he had no explanation for the difference and acted as though he couldn't have quoted me $354 just a couple of months ago.

So, I decided to check around some more and I stopped in at Sears on the way home. They had a decent-looking Michelin Weather-Wise whitewall for $405.

So, thought I had settled on a tire, now I'm in a quandary again.

Reply to
WayneC

I put 6 inch F-rd rims on my Convertible. I ordered 5 205x75x15 Cooper tires from Diamondback Tires, had them cut the WW to 1 inch and paid the bill. The convertible had 215x75x15 Bias Belted when I bought it. Much too large with 4 1/2 inch rims. Rides and handles great now.

Geno

64 R2 Avanti 64 Dayt> Does anyone know what tire brands are available in this size ?? Also anyone
Reply to
jeep4cyl

Reply to
bobcaripalma

FWIW the Pirelli site shows 185-70VR15's in the CN36 style, but it does take tubes (15C340).

Here's the site:

-- wf.

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Reply to