58's as drivers

I've always known how nice the big sedans drove and assumed the 58 Starlight would be the same, and it sure is. No power steering, but with the low mileage steering box, it does not need it. I drove it around 20 miles today to shake out any issues and had a slight dash rattle. I tightened up the radio, now nothing makes a peep on bumps. After adjusting the valves I have to look at the idiot lights to make sure the engine didn't stall at a traffic light. The damn car just floats downn the road, by far the best riding driving Studebaker I've ever owned out of a few 100. I never had one with no play in the steering, not a hint of a oil leak or a rattle, I'm having fun.

Reply to
John Poulos

John, it's still in the same class as riding a moped or humping a fat gal, it could produce it's own fuel for all I give a sh*t, it's still Fugly.

Reply to
oldcarfart

John, it's still in the same class as riding a moped or humping a fat gal, it could produce it's own fuel for all I give a sh*t, it's still Fugly.

Reply to
oldcarfart

John, it's still in the same class as riding a moped or humping a fat gal, it could produce it's own fuel for all I give a sh*t, it's still Fugly.

Reply to
oldcarfart

Sounds great John, keep having fun with it, that's what this hobby is all about! You've got yourself a very cool and unusual car, lets see how long you can hold on to this one .

Jeff DeWitt

John Poulos wrote:

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

Ugly, yes, but it's growing on me. Do I wish it was a 58 Golden, sure, but then again, it could be a 4 door Champion too.

oldcarfart wrote:

Reply to
John Poulos

Reply to
keith_kichefski

Reply to
John Poulos

Seriously... Hey Ron, are you reading this, wanna sell me back my old VW? Oh wait you can't, you traded it for one of the cars on my short list...

nate

(I'd but I really am k> Sure, a 4 door Champion maybe ugly too, but at today's gas prices,

Reply to
Nate Nagel

As far as I am concerned, the Champion was a gimmick from the start. Underpowered, short lived and just plain awful.

Gimme a 259 any day. My old Lark got a regular 24 mpg (with automatic) on the road and had power when I needed it.

JT

John Poulos wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Now, only to put on a '55 front clip which would make it dashing!

JT

Jeff DeWitt wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

I will agree, on road trips the gas mileage became equal, between the

6 and V-8. I used to use various Larks, to deliver telegrams for Western Uni> As far as I am concerned, the Champion was a gimmick from the start.
Reply to
keith_kichefski