Avanti fact

Interesting thing about fiberglass bodied cars do to electrolytic effect all the rust takes place in what ever metal is there. Examples:

Went to wash the 10 years of dirt off the cheap Avanti and tried to roll up the passenger window. Turns out, the frame piece that hold the glass at the bottom was swollen with rust and binding up the works. The P.O. must have tried too because he busted the regulator, and cracked the fiberglass on the inside of the door. I grabbed a good used window and regulator, repaired the fiberglass and put everything back together. Now after four hours of labor, I still need to wash the car.

OK moving on, time to bolt a new starter switch on the inner fender. Again, rust in action. I had to drill out the broken screws and retap.

Next, install parking light sockets, surprise the bulbs are frozen in the sockets. Got them out with some pliers, cleaned out the sockets with a battery brush and then had to drill out the mounting screws. The good news is I now have parking and turn signals. Next, I'll install the headlight buckets, no telling what will happen there.

JP/Marylandr Studebaker On the Net

My Ebay items:
R2 4 speed Challenger (Plain Wrapper)63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk63 Avanti R1

62 Lark 2 door 60 Hawk 53 Starlight
Reply to
John Poulos

To paraphrase a wise (old) sage from Arnold, MD; "there ain't no such thing as a cheap Avanti".

Reply to
Ron Butts

How are the Hog troughs?? Early on you said they were ok?

2nd opinion??
Reply to
rustynutgarage

Reply to
John Poulos

The cracked fiberglass on the door is common, I think it's a normal result of the action of rolling the window up & down. On most Avanti's you can see in-out movement of the arm rest when you operate the windows... for every action there's a reaction and the inner door panel takes the torque and resultant movement between the motor and the regulator; eventually it cracks. Improper adjustment can add to that normal situation. I've epoxied metal supports on the door panels of several Avanti's to stiffen the area between (and including) the motor (regulator) mount screws and the idler arm mount screws (the support ends up being a weird shape in order to fit flat within the recesses of the fiberglass). Deteriorated exterior "wiper" weatherstrip on the outside of the window, and blocked drains in the door bottom add to the internal rust problem.

Reply to
WayneC

Reply to
John Poulos

I remember the parking lights being a PIA back in the 1970's...

JT

John Poulos wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Reply to
John Poulos

Snake Oil?

from the web site: Rust Stop uses the method of Cathodic Protection using impressed current. When installing Rust Stop, strips of aluminum electrodes, termed anodes are strategically attached to an area of the vehicle inside the engine compartment where most water is likely to collect or run. By outputting a positive charge of 45 Volts onto the anodes, the negatively charged free electrons are attracted toward the anodes and away from the body of the vehicle.

N.B. RUST-STOP functions extremely well due to the fact that the output voltage on the anode is approximately 45 volts, thus creating a large potential difference between the cathode (vehicle) and the anode, this in turn means the attraction of the electrons to the anodes is exceptionally strong making this system very effective.

  1. Around here, the water tends to get thrown up into the wheel wells, undercarriage and around the rear bumper area. Engine compartment is usually pretrty greasy and rust protected.

  1. WTF is impressed current?

  2. The second paragraph is a lot of adjectives saying almost nothing.

  1. No references, case studies, satisfied customers, or clear explanations of what and how.

Not gonna get MY $200.00 that way........

Mark (sounds too good to be true) Dunning

Reply to
Mark Dunning

Reply to
John Poulos

I'd call it snake oil. Cathodic protection was developed to protect metal parts that are IMMERSED in an electrolyte, such as water or damp soil. Pipelines and ships are typical examples. Car bodies usually aren't immersed, outside of New Orleans. An individual cathode can only protect that small area of metal that is moistened by an unbroken film of electrolyte that also envelops the cathode.

Look at the places where Studes commonly rust. You'd have to have 100 cathodes, and keep them turned on for the life of the car.

Not to mention the car body rusting isn't really caused by electrolysis anyway. The metal is simply oxidizing in the atmosphere, with moisture acting as a catalyst, more than anything else.

Gord Richmond

Reply to
Gordon Richmond

You have got it right Gord...I know from working with re-bar and concrete many years...

Lans>> I don't know about this system, but cathodic protection works. I

unbroken film of

Reply to
ConcreteGuy