Betting Pool - Studebaker Bldg#

What is your guess as to the exact date the wrecking ball starts on the old SASCO/Stude building?

Not wanting to disrespect the overly sensitive masses over on the SDC forum.()... I did not pose this inevitable question over there...

DEEPNHOCK

I find the actions of South Bend pretty disturbing and short sighted.

My impressions of the engineering building were that it should be recycled intact rather than be demolished and the cleared land remain vacant as is the case with much of South Bend.

JT

DEEPNHOCK wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

I grew up in a VERY heavy industrial area; the 'corridor' of factories on US Route 1 in Linden and Rahway NJ. Row after row of factories....GM, Merck, Rheem, General Aniline, Gordon's Gin, MANY others. Most are gone now, many empty buildings. So what is worse, tearing them down and having vacant land, or letting them sit and rot? Most of us would like to see some of the original Studebaker buildings saved or 'recycled', but...are the buildings worth saving? Studebaker George

Reply to
Studebaker George

Mostly no but a few of the original dozens yes.

On my several visits to SASCO, my impression was that this was a significant building and one that was well constructed an a suitable candidate for weatherization and preservation as a functional facility.

Of course it takes vision to see such things and quite frankly, South Bend has shown little in that regard.

Just my 2¢ worth...

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Oh... I almost forgot the question.

Hopefully, the wrecking ball hits the wall before Christmas.

South Bend residents deserve such a gift for the "holiday."

Reply to
Dave Lester

Well, I replied to this but see that it did not appear.

Seems like giganews doesn't like binaries. I had attached a recent photo of the Austin skyline in response to your last paragraph. Totally changed in the last four years...

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

funny, I saw it..

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

I saw it too. My ISP news service used to cut me off at 10kb, but now I seem to be open ended. Paul Johnson

Reply to
Paul Johnson