Speaking of high dollar vintage iron

Steve, this proves your point :-)

//Mike

1993 BMW 525i
of all the old cars
Reply to
TurboMike

I guess so, huh???

Of course it only has 26 miles too, and it's not a convert. :(

Steve

72 Skylark
Reply to
A Guy Named Steve

I sure don't mean to disrespect a '70 Stage I. I'm nothing but glad that they have finally got the recognition they deserve, as the torquey-est motor of the Muscle Car era. But this Chevy and that Buford are, if not apples and oranges they are Granny Smiths and Fujis. Some like one better than the other, and there's no accounting for taste.

I personally would much prefer a TWENTY SIX mile '70 LS6 to a "15K drive miles on 12 year old restoration" of ANY other Muscle Car. (What that "15K on a restoration" means about actual TOTAL mileage is an open question. My guess is, like most 30+ year old cars, it's way over 100K.) This Chebby is definitely a one-of-one, in the sense that there is not another equivalent car on the planet. A mistaken order of the agricultural grade 3-spd stick in the Buick does not make it a "one-of-one" in any meaningful sense other than statistically. It was a mistake, an oddball.

Also, convertibles are vastly overrated. But again, that's a matter of taste.

Put it this way, if you were Bill Gates (or Jay Leno) and were building a serious car collection, which would you buy first? Hands down, a 26 mile LS6 is the one. Then you go shopping for an unrestored, or 100 pt restored, GSX Stage I. Or if you must have a convertible, an equally pristine 4-spd or TH400 GS. That 3-spd stick just does not belong in this price range.

180 Out TS 28
Reply to
180 Out

I think it will, & should, go a lot higher than this one did too...

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

For me the Buicks are first and everything else is a very close 2nd. I just prefer them for some odd reason. I also understand that they won't fetch the kind of money that the exact same version of a Chevelle would. At the same rate, neither would a GTO or 442. No big deal. If anything, I'd use it to my advantage when shopping for one. My 72 Skylark is very low optioned (no AC, no disc brakes, bench seat, etc...). It was just what I was looking for, and also very hard to find.

Yep, it's an oddball and would likely not be driven in a manner that the owner could appreciate the Stage 1 in it.

I live in WA, I'm not a big convertible guy by any means! But, in general it does add to the overall value of any muscle car.

If I wasn't a Buick guy first, I'd likely search out the others before getting my GS(X). All of this is hard for me to fathom anyhow since I am a Buick guy, I'm semi-realistic, I hate car shows, and I think cars have tires for a reason - to be driven. So none of this is in my world, but it's interesting to see what the "other" guys get into.

Steve

72 Skylark

Reply to
A Guy Named Steve

I think someone mentioned in the Buick board that the Chevelle was in Robb Report for over $200K several years ago. And, it now has 1 more mile on the odometer.

Steve

72 Skylark
Reply to
A Guy Named Steve