brake booster not working

I have a problem with the brake booster.The unit is a bendix unit and is mounted in my 60 Hawk. The car has been recently refurbished & so the brake lines were disconnected. Previously the brakes & booster were overhauled prior & were working very well before the layup. Pedal was very progressive & minimal effort was required. The padal is very hard but the brakes are pulling the car up ok. It appears to be purely a lack of power assist that is the issue. I have had the vacuum checked out & it is running at -15 bar apparently. The check valve also checked out as operational. Can anyone provide a clue as to what to check out next?.

Reply to
ross

I'm not familiar with your car set-up, but one problem I had with my '64 GT was removing batteries.

Halfway through the removal process, I would rest the battery on top of the steel vacuum line going to the rear of the vacuum tank, to get a better purchase on the battery. Eventially, this caused a leak at the rubber bushing where the vacuum line met the tank.

Partial brake-failure caused me to run into a hedge instead of a Plymouth. Much softer landing.

Reply to
Karl Haas

serious leak in the hydrovac. If there is vacuum at the unit, and you are getting no assist, then the booster needs to be rebuilt. Tim K.

Reply to
GTtim

serious leak in the hydrovac. If there is vacuum at the unit, and you are getting no assist, then the booster needs to be rebuilt.

thanks all, it seems to be an intermittent fault as this morning they came back to normal. Perhaps it will fix itself.cheers

Reply to
ross

serious leak in the hydrovac. If there is vacuum at the unit, and you are getting no assist, then the booster needs to be rebuilt.

Did you put a little neatsfoot oil in the hydrovac before installation? There's a big leather seal in there that needs to be kept soft.

nate

(just replaced a Hydrovac earlier today oddly enough.)

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Good call, Nate, that seems to match the symptom. I don't recall ever seeing this, but are you supposed to give it another shot during the working life of the unit?

Reply to
comatus