Demand for '53/54 Park Light Lenses?

I started on the '54 almost 10 years ago. At that time there was a Mr. McGreevy in Canada selling reproduction park light lenses for '53 and '54 C/Ks. I purchased a set from him for $50, and was thrilled to get them. I later heard that he was going to quit producing them, and tried to order an extra set to have, just in case. I was too late, he had already sold out.

There is a high-tech company here in Perkins that does plastic work for the semi conductor industry. They have the ability to laser scan my lenses, and make new ones. I haven't priced it out yet, but intend to take my lenses to them this week in order to get an idea of what it would cost to reproduce these lenses.

What would the interest level be, and what might you consider a reasonable price for such reproduction lenses in today's market? Since the last source dried up 10 years ago, I would think there would be a demand...?

The company rep and I talked briefly tonight, and if this goes well I might let him give me an estimate on reproducing grills. That is rather an ambitious concept at this time, but if the lenses go well, I could put the money towards the grill project. They could scan the grill, if not produce it. Of course, they have contacts with companies that could actually do the production.

Feedback appreciated.

Reply to
Dave's Place

Chuck Collins

Just thought you might like to know, Yep, that's mighty good information, Chuck.

Well, it was an idea, no need to re-invent the wheel.

Get yer park light lens from Chuck!

Reply to
Dave's Place

I have purchased lenses from Chuck, and they are of the highest quality. And, as a matter of fact, I need to order a set of '53 C/K tail light lenses, soon.

Stan

Reply to
tempestan

I need one side, have a n.o,s, other side

Bob Whiten Wagonmaster

Wagonmaster

Reply to
sweetdick

If anyone could make a really good repo of the grill surrounds and grills of 53/54 I think there would be a big enough market to warrent it.

Reply to
sweetdick

Reply to
Jeff Rice

Someone did them in brass 30 years ago, but... Can you say "really heavy"? As I remember, being extended so far in front of the wheels, the leverage effect adversely affected steering. Paul Johnson

Reply to
Paul Johnson

Those brass repops are heavy & expensive, but pitting & other problems associated with die cast will be a thing of the past. If they ever get to looking dull, they can be replated again easily with no pittiing or porosity issues. Studebaker people are just too tight for it to be feasable to make a run of new die-castings while there are still any decent replated ones availabe. There is a pair of good ones on ebay now.

-- Barry'd in Studes

58 Packard Hawk 40 President 39 Coupe Exp. 59 DeLuxe 1/2 tn. 56 Packard "400" 58 Commander 51 bus cpe.

Reply to
Barry