First gear start valve bodies

Dennis has been able to come up with 5 more 1st gear start valve bodies, $350. May be the last on the planet, he's not sure. If you want one, get on the phone.

Reply to
John Poulos

I've actually been looking into this, don't you also need a governor from a 60's 6-cylinder and a sprag or something from a Ford to make it all work properly?

nate

Reply to
N8N

Reply to
John Poulos

OK...I'm on the fence with this one. I run 3.31, but have a low mileage 3.73 in my basement for my ragtop. A heavy car to start with, but my tranny is into 4K with Trans-X and will need rebuilding this spring.....The local rebuild for the tranny is $300. (my install). Testimonials on this mod ?? 3.31 w/ 289 (fresh) AT...??

Reply to
jbreen

Reply to
Pat Drnec

Reply to
John Poulos

Nope, install and go. I've done 3 of these little converstions and they seem to work real well. I've been on the look out for some more of these myself. Ordered a couple of them all ready.

I've also been on the look out for the 56 V8 transmissions which have this setup. The rebuild on one is reasonable enough and the little extra kick you get is, I think, well worth it.

If you get one and want to install it yourself, don't forget to take it apart, clean and flush it real good. The sealer and old lubricant are hard. The last one I did took a while, as one of the pistons was stuck tight. It soaked for nearly a week before I could get it out.

Bo.

Reply to
64daytonaht

Reply to
John Poulos

I dunno about "pain" with the 4-speed, although a good solid launch without lots of tire smoke is more challenging :) But I will say that the 2nd gear start in the '55 made me think I'd made a mistake for a second until I remembered that I wasn't using first gear :)

nate

John Poulos wrote:

Reply to
Nate Nagel

You better hurry up 'n decide. He is now down two more..

JT

Nate Nagel wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy au Contraire

Reply to
John Poulos

I'll be installing one in a customer's car within the next couple months. Would be happy to let you know how it turns out.

BTW, I had 3.73's >OK...I'm on the fence with this one. I run 3.31, but have a low

Lee DeLaBarre Daytona62

Reply to
Lee

Whazzit you say??? Youse snoozes, hem 'n haws, youse loses...

JT

John Poulos wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy au Contraire

Will that valve body work in his Detroit Gear? I thought all '55 DGs had first gear start anyhow. Paul Johnson

Reply to
Paul Johnson

Reply to
John Poulos

Reply to
oldcarfart

True, but it would just have been a stop gap. If that tranny comes out for any reason, I'd like to replace it with some kind of manually operated gearbox.

nate

oldcarfart wrote:

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Seems like all this makes a good argument for an adaptor kit and a GM transmission?

S2DSteve

Reply to
Steve Hudson

Lee DeLaBarre Daytona62

Reply to
Lee

Not even close. I've seen one of these hack jobs done and it sucks. This is what the guy had to buy in order to install it. Then had to pay someone to do the work for him.

The Adaptor kit Autozone rebuild (not) starter converter adaptor plate cross member hack job mounts cable/adaptor for speedo shifter mod to drive shaft (cut, rewelded and balanced)

After all that, it still wouldn't shift right. Seems they forgot to add a port to hook up the Vacum module.

Hmmmmmmmmm! I think I'll stick with simply fixing what's there. At least I'll have something depenable when I'm finished.

Bo

Reply to
64daytonaht