First Gear Start Valve Body for V8 Flight-O-Matics...

FYI
Yep, I bought two of these back in 2005 from Dennis at SASCO but ended up only needing one so the extra unit is now on eBay.
JT
I was thinking about posting some things for sale on http://www.studebakerswap.com which is free. Reason being, the high fees have been a problem selling on eBay, plus stuff doesn't seem to bring much anymore. Apparently there are way fewer buyers, than in the past. As a result, it looks like eBay and PayPal are making their money, but the sellers are not. Even if you take advantage of a free listing offer on eBay, in the end, if it sells 13% final fees seem to be the norm, after all the commissions are taken. KK

I was at that site last night and I think I'll list it there if it doesn't make reserve on ebay. My activity on eBay is way down as I've noticed the increase in commissions, fees etc.
In fact, I may call it quits before the end of the year...
JT
keith snipped-for-privacy@wed.dresser.com wrote:

With few exceptions, it seems like trying to sell anything these days, is much like trying to sell a house. Few if any buyers...and nobody wants to pay what is was once worth. Things I sold six to seven years ago, can now be found for roughly half of their value back then. The older collectors who used to live on their bank CD income, are now eating beans and rice, at a 1% return. There is obviously no margin for discretionary spending on Studebaker items anymore, or much of anything else deemed non-essential.
In the past few months, Craigslist sales activity has been very slow too, from everybody I've spoken to. Many of the usual sellers I know, have just stopped trying at this point. They said you can list things until you are blue in the face, but people won't look, for fear of being temped to respond. KK

keith snipped-for-privacy@wed.dresser.com wrote:

Well, I had a $350 reserve which was not met but reflected the price I paid back in 2005. I ended up going the "2nd Chance Offer" which was the highest bidder at $285. Time to cut the loses despite the paypal cut and the ebay cut. I'll end up with less than $250 but that's life these days.

Yep... I've been retired since 2005 and my best years were through mid 2007. It's all been down hill from there.

My experience as well. Nobody has any money or they just refuse to part with any of it...
JT

Interesting thread. Your observations and situation is similar to mine. It is not so much having a negative viewpoint, as some might say, but more of being in tune with current reality. So far, I have not posted to the swap page as intended, but will give it some more thought. I appreciate your input of the 2nd chance offer, as I would have likely done the same. In another year, you may have regretted not cutting your losses now. It could be an interesting meet at S.B. this year. Some vendors were trying to cash-out at a few recent swap meets, and wanted to throw in the towel. Not sure if they found a bulk buyer, but there was a definite reality check going on.
If someone were to compare the economic slide of South Bend after 1964 and apply it on a National level, I think we have arrived at the same place.
The Studebakers I still have, which I was saving for shows and special events, will likely become 'just cars' once again. With the price of new ones continuing to escalate and actual parting price of collector cars softening, it makes sense to me to just return to driving them conservatively. The younger people seem to have no real interest in them, unless viewed as a "cash cow". (I have news for them too.) KK

keith snipped-for-privacy@wed.dresser.com wrote:

Good point...
I have three Studebakers remaining. The '56 Power Hawk was purchased in 1966 just before I got out of the Army. It's in the process of being repainted, (for the third time), and it's also time for it to go to a new owner. But as you stated, my return will probably be diminished due to the crappy economy. It's a pretty nice car with just less than 90K on the odometer.
I purchased a '55 President State sedan nearly twenty years ago and it still ain't ready for the road but hopefull it will and it will serve as an occasional daily driver to compliment my ancient Gen II Honda Civic.
The third car is a '59 Lark two door sedan which I bought in early 2011 as an "investment." Ha ha ha... That joke will probably be on me!
Oh well, I really don't have much control over any of it so what will happen will happen..
JT

Site Timeline