First Trip to a International in my Studebaker

What an exciting experience it was to caravan with other Stude's to Omaha! As usual my 1949 Commander was the oldest car in the group. We started in Indiana and drove to Burlington Iowa the first day. The second day we took US 34 across Iowa, as I knew, it was a hilly drive but the Commander took them with ease. We averaged about 65 MPH most of the way. Even had to pass some slower modern cars on the steep hills. While in Omaha I took a group to the Old Market area one day, even with

5 people and lots of stuff in the trunk the ole Commander took the steep hills around Omaha with ease. The very rough brick roads around the Old Market area weren't a problem in the Studebaker either. Most new cars we saw were rocking their passengers around quite a bit but all was smooth with that Planar front suspension. I see why Tom McCahill said the 1949 Commander was one of the best cars in America. To give the ole girl the ultimate test I made sure to take a run at the Annual Newport Indiana antique auto hill climb. After a 1200 mile round trip the Commander ran the hill in 31.56 seconds on par with the NEWER Fraizer's and Hudsons with manual transmissions. I experienced on one minor hiccup the whole trip. I had to clean some excess oil from the governor on the overdrive. The oil caused the points to not contact making the overdrive not engage. It is an easy task since Studebaker put a little access panel in the floor to do the service from above the car not under. Studebaker's reputation for economy proved to be real as well. The lowest mileage I got was 18 MPG with the last two tanks giving me 23 MPG. Pretty good for a 57-year-old car running at higher speeds than were common in it's day. I see how they got 24 MPG in the Mobil gas runs. With this trip I guess I have put about 3500 miles on my Studebaker this year with most of the bugs being ironed out in the first 300 miles this year. It proves a point, the more you drive them the more reliable they are on long trips.
Reply to
1949commander

The Planar Suspension is so good, that it is used on Corvettes...... Modern Ones.

They should have kept that suspension up to the 60's, the ride difference between a Post War and '53-56 is dramatic.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Glass

The Planar Suspension really works great on my '37.

Jerry

Bill Glass wrote:

Reply to
daniels