Lack of power

I have a 1964 Daytona Convertible, 259, with factory insstalled 4- Speed. The AFB 4-bbl Carb and Manifold, Electronic Ignition with Breakerless Distributor, Aluminum Flywheel, are from Dave Thibeault. It also has an 14x2 " Air Filter from Chrome Chrome Chrome. Somewhere in its life the rear was changed to a Dana 44 with 3:31 open rear.

Problem it starts and runs fine but has no real power. When floored, and you hear the 4-bbl open it excellerates doesn't really go. It will actually backfire sometimes.

My thoughts are the Power Valve or Distributor is off. I have no Timing Light so can't check that. Your thoughts are appreciated. Geno

64 R2 Avanti 64 Daytona Convertible
Reply to
jeep4cyl

I think you're goinjg to have to borrow or buy a timing light as your first try at figuring this out. Sure sounds like all the symptoms of badly-set timing; the backfire is the key. And they're cheap - $20 at Pep Boys gets you a serviceable one.

Reply to
showbizkid

defective and/or a vacuum leak. Further down the line would be a fuel problem, like a (partially) clogged filter.

Reply to
studegary

For some reason, my whole response did not show up and I don't see how to edit the response, so I will post again.

Based on your description, my guesses are; timing is off, vacuum advance is not working properly, a vacuum leak. Further down would be a fuel problem, like a (partially) clogged fuel filter or a pin hole leak.

Reply to
studegary

Have someone check the valve lift. You may have a worn camshaft. A dial indicator on the rocker arm will tell a lot. Take all the plugs out and turn the engine by hand. Bob Kapteyn.

Reply to
RBK.

Restricted exaust system?????

Reply to