Lifting Up a Wagon

Has anyone had any experience lifting up a Studebaker wagon, like they do with off road pick-ups? I don't mean, jacking up so high you need to have a ladder, but a mild lift to gain clearance. . .

Can it be done? How would one do that??

Reply to
lare911

In the front, there are spacers available that were used on A/C equipped cars to raise the front end, so I don't see why you couldn't use a pair of those. In the rear, longer shackes are the cheap way out although probably not the best from a stability standpoint; or if you want a couple inches, maybe flip the spring pads over.

nate

Reply to
N8N

Rear could be done by shackles, lift blocks between spring pad and axle, or adding leafs to the springs. If you have a good spring shop or

4X4 shop in your area talking to them would be your best bet. Front you could use available or make spacers like N8 says or longer coils and shocks. Keep in mind your ride quality will become stiffer the greater the springs you add. If you have some $ to spend air bags would be the way to go and I don't mean your the women in your life :)). Look into the sport truck or hot rod market and see whats available.
Reply to
rustynutgarage

Boys...he said it should need "a ladder" to get in !

Sure it can be lifted, what whould make you think it couldn't?

The easiest way would be to put the wagon body an a modified late model previously lifted truck chassis. Any other way would be an expensive pain in the rear!

In my opinion...if you need to ask this question, "do not attempt this operation". You will end up hating it, spending a lot of money and time on a car that will never get finished.

By the way...several have been done this way.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

"I don't mean, jacking up so high you need to have a ladder, but a mild lift to gain clearance."

Mike wrote:

snip\

Reply to
John Poulos

Some time ago I had a 63 Wagonaire, "nicely settled in" so it was sagging without it showing at all. Re-arcing the rears and changing to new HD coils in front raised it two inches--not enough to look gangly, but clearance and handling improved and it had a good outdoorsy stance. Changing from mediocre replacement radials to tall bias-ply snows helped too.

The spring guy asked how much higher I wanted it to sit. We guessed about right, but he could have given me another inch or two on the rear without adding blocks or risers.

Reply to
comatus

Reply to
midlant

Some good advice. . .this is for a 61 wagon. A mild lift would give me a little confidence taking it off road. . .nothing dangerous, but just driving through areas with potholes and ruts.

when I was a kid we didn't have four wheelers to get across my grandpa's farm. . .ruts big enough to park some of these little foreign jobs in. we just took it slow and easy and let the springs do their work.

After all the Lark placed first in the 61 trans Canada road race. . .can't remember what it is called. that says something there.

snipped-for-privacy@earthl> Watch your drive-shaft angle if you'll be putting a lot of miles on > it. >

Reply to
lare911

That'd be the Shell 4000 rally. 4000 miles.

Gord Richmond

Reply to
Gordon Richmond