New question 1

Has any one rebuilt a Saginaw steering box? What parts, and numbers, were needed? To swap out the Ross TL box is there any special things I should know?

Wiz.

Reply to
Wizard of Oz

Saginaw made many different boxes both manual and power steering. The 1953-1958 power steering box was also used on GM products. It is commonly refered to as the "Offset". Rebuilt kits contain the seals and gaskets $65.00 Very little ever goes wrong with these.

Reply to
RBK.

Where do you find these rebuild kits? Only thing I have been able to find online is rebuilding services, which are pricey. I do have an extra "offset" box that I was hoping to try rebuilding myself.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

If you find a kit... I've got an extra "offset" box as well.

In fact, I probably have still another in the country..

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

So Sorry ,his price went up Studebaker International Part # 801352 $99.50

Bob

Reply to
RBK.

That's still not bad... I'm not on SI's mailing list so I don't get their catalogs. I'll have to call when I get a chance.

nate

Reply to
N8N

N8N Let me order it when you are ready, I can save you a few bucks.

Reply to
John Poulos

it's not urgent, I just figured I might be able to make a few bucks off a "good" unit if I can get it set up right. I do have an inch pound torque wrench for the adjustments. I can't order anything this month anyway, I seem to have gotten myself into a world of plumbing repairs... (fix one thing, find something else not quite right, pretty soon I'll have everything rebuilt/replaced except for the copper pipe itself...)

nate

Reply to
N8N

If you recall, I got $200 for just a core, it's unlikely that it would pay you enough more to rebuild one.

N8N wrote:

Reply to
John Poulos

ISTR that the place that rebuilds them gets over $500 plus core to rebuild, hence my interest in doing so...

N8N