Oil canister for Champs on ebay

Check out this listing. Looks like the one that was in my '54 Champ coupe.

Chip

Reply to
cjdaytonjrnospam

John Poulos

a drain plug is a great idea, I wonder why the Stude filters didn't have them? The similar filter on my dad's Farmall Cub has a drain... otherwise you have to break out the suction gun to do a *full* oil change...

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Nate,

The similar filter on my dad's Farmall Cub has a drain... otherwise you have to break out the suction gun to do a *full* oil change...

WHY? The filter canister in my 52 drains back into the block, leaves maybe a

1/2 pint. That's like I always heard on my 57 Golden Hawk, "How messy" it would be to change the filter. Used to do it before I fired it up for the first time that day, and it was dry!

Jim Turner

Reply to
Jim Turner

Well, the filter on my '62 (canister type - I found one of the HD ones and put it on since my hoses were shot anyway) has the one fitting connected to the center tube that runs vertically through the cartridge, and there is a small orifice drilled into the tube at about the same level as the fitting on the side of the canister. Therefore unless you use the suction gun the canister will never empty below that point. (this is actually good, since you don't get a big pressure drop when cold starting to fill the filter, and also oil level readings are more accurate.)

That'll work, but I'm in the habit of changing the oil with the engine hot, to try to get as much sludge and nastiness out of the engine as possible. I've tried even punching a hole in the top of the filter can to allow the oil to drain back, but even doing that by the time the pan is empty I still get a mess when unscrewing the filter. I have the same complaint about the filter in my 944 FWIW...

Of course, with a full flow block you don't have any of these problems, you just wipe the oil off the pass. side exhaust with a rag and you are done.

nate

Reply to
N8N