Orphans on display

Interesting article:

5 Orphans on Display Alexandria's only antique car show focuses on discontinued models once sold in the city. By Chuck Hagee/Gazette May 11, 2006

Classic cars are on display at the annual "Orphans In Alexandria" show, scheduled for May 13 at The Lyceum.

Alexandria's only antique car show known as "Orphans In Alexandria" is scheduled for this Saturday, May 13, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. in the parking lot of The Lyceum, 201 S. Washington St.

It may be the last year focusing on discontinued models once sold in Alexandria. "As of right now we only have four participants signed up. But, it often happens like this and then they call in at the last minute. Plus, I always get some that just show up without telling me they are coming. We usually end up with 10 to 12 exhibitors," said James Mackay, director, The Lyceum.

Mackay started the show four years ago to feature antique cars, now out of production, that were once sold in Alexandria, thus the reference to orphans. "Alexandria's Hudson dealer was the second largest in the country. And, there was a Kaiser dealer right across the street from a Studebaker dealer," Mackay said.

In the past, some exhibitors have come from as far away as Massachusetts and New York. Some of the cars to be featured this year are a 1957 Hudson, a 1963 Willis metal station wagon, a 1941 Crosley, and a 1954 Kaiser Darin, according to Mackay. "Bruce Valley from Fairfax County has promised to show his 1956 Continental Mark II. And, he was very specific that it is not a Lincoln. It is a Continental when they were known only as Continentals

- not Lincoln Continentals," Mackay explained.

"If I don't start to get a better response from the collectors though I may have to make the show more generic. If it were just an antique car show, without the requirement of models that were once sold here, I would have more than enough," he said.

THE EVENT focuses on some of the best-known companies from the late

1930s through the early 1960s such as Hupmobile, Hudson, Graham, Willys, Kaiser-Frazer, Nash, Packard and Studebaker. Some of those companies once competed successfully with the remaining American Big Three - Ford, Chrysler and General Motors.

The free event is open to the public. Those wishing to exhibit are encouraged to bring old sales literature, historic photos or photos showing the restoration process plus any other collectible materials pertaining to their vehicles.

For information or to display a vehicle call Jim Mackay at 703-838-4994 or e-mail snipped-for-privacy@alexandriava.gov.

Mark

65 Cruiser
Mark Anderson

that's nice and close by, but my car is kind of immobile at the moment :(

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel