OT Another old case of cheating by racers.

I recall an M.I. story from Uncle Tom, who was at Le Mans back in the mid 1950s.

He was standing at the start / finish during one of the practice sessions. M-B was a bit slower than what they were expected to show as far as lap times. They would pull the car into the pit, mess with it and go out and maybe gain a few seconds - not much with such a long lap.

Tom, bored, started driving about the area, stopping whenever he saw something interesting. About half-way around the track, he noticed a lonely MB sedan parked near the course with two men in it and a whip antenna.

Tom suddenly cottomned onto that MB had set up their own timing section and was running one fast, then one slow lap, using the sedan as the marker.Those timing at the official pits were seeing a laps consisting of half a slow lab coupled to half a fast lap, whereas the M-B pair in the car timed a fast lap followed by a slow lap, thus hiding their true speed.

U.T. didn't let on to anyone, but I wonder if he made a bet based on his knowledge.

Karl

Reply to
midlant

heck that aint cheeting it is just another way so tha the competition doesnt know how good you really are just like when they ran Seabiscuit at night in the dark so no one else knew how good a horse he really was till race day

Reply to
Studebaker Kid

Reply to
Robert Black

This wasn't in an MI test article, it was mentioned in some other article by or about him. In my original post (that went missing) I mentioned "gamesmanship," and failed to include it in what actually got on the NG, so Studebaker Kid and I are in agreement. (Some of my best messages disappear!).

Saw a great article in a local "Senior Life" magazine: "On The Road: Nova Scotia in Four Days", RB. Send me home street address if you want a photocopy. It might be good to pass on to guests of yours when you can't be the guide.

Karl.

Karl

Reply to
midlant