OT Computer question

I just bought a new computer and need some advice. All I ever use it for is email and word processing. I did some Excell stuff for the museum, but don't expect any more of that.

I have email through earthlink and Google works fine. There is Windown XP available for a 60-day trial, but to get it will cost me several hundred bucks. Any idea of a word processing program that I could throw onto this machine for a low cost? (I have many Word files on 3 1/2 disks now that I need to get onto the machine, I could probably do this via email from another PC, I guess.) Any suggestions? Linex? which one, where, how and how do I learn it?

Karl

Reply to
midlant

You should be able to get XP for a LOT less than that. It's on its way out you know.

OpenOffice.org?

(I have many Word files on 3 1/2 disks now that

No 3 1/4" floppy drive on the new computer? Should be cheap and easy to add one.

It's Linux. It comes in various "flavors", or distributions. Ubuntu is one distro that seems popular right now. Can be downloaded from the Web for free.

Gord Richmond

Reply to
Gordon Richmond

Thanks. I' think that I have installed a floppy drive, but can't test it until I have something to whch I can download it!

I was looking through some Linux sites, but found the info vast, to sy the least. I also worried about screwing up my machine with a corupt fake. Thanks for the Ubuntu lead.

Karl

Reply to
midlant

I don't know all that much about Linux, I use WinXP, but I tried Linux on a CD some time ago and found it very usable. I'm pretty sure it has a decent word processing program on it, and internet access is the same as it is for WinXP. Firefox browser and Thunderbird email programs are available free for Linux (I use them under WinXP):

... they may even come onthe Knoppix (Linux) CD. So, aside from a few unfamiliar icons ob the desktop, Linux should look nearly the same as WinXP for the applications you use. In fact, there is a companion product (available at a fee) called Linux-XP that apparently allows WinXP applications to run... but I doubt you'd need that.

It only costs a few dollars to download a CD or DVD image if you have a CD or DVD burner... otherwise you'd need to have someone with a burner do that for you, or I think you can order it on bootable media and have it mailed to you:

WayneC

Thank you. It would be nive to have a dic handy and I don't think that this new one burns them. (Gotta read that book!) Karl

Reply to
midlant

You can find CD's and DVD's on eBay, just do a search on "Knoppix (CD, DVD)"

Reply to
WayneC

Here's some more links to info

WayneC

Karl,

Go to

Download and install the Windows version.

Personally I use Linux 90% of the time. But you can use Open Office with Windows and your Word docs with no problems.

Studeski Claude Chmielewski snipped-for-privacy@netzero.com

Fillmore, Wisconsin

1947 M16 Truck 1962 GT Hawk 1963 Lark 1964 Commander Wagonaire

snipped-for-privacy@earthl> I just bought a new computer and need some advice.

Reply to
Studeski

look for OPEN OFFICE... its a linux program but there is I believe a windoz version as well free for download?

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

LaTeX is free and available by anonymous ftp; it is still pretty much the standard for larger documents. If you just do smaller documents then vi should be fine.

-- wf.

Reply to
randee