OT: favor from a '64 owner

If anyone has a 1964 Stude owner's manual, could you do me a favor and a) see if the manual has a light bulb replacement chart in it and b) if so, send me a scan of it?

thanks,

Nate

(there's a reason I'm asking; I'm involved in a discussion with someone about automotive lighting and that chart would probably settle a question to which neither of us have a definitive answer.)

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Instruments and clock 57R Ignition switch 1445R radio 57R switch nameplates 1445R AT indicator 1445 High beam ind. 1445

Nate Nagel wrote:

Reply to
John Poulos

I'm actually specifically interested in what the book specifies for the front parking lights/signals when used behind a clear lens. The guy I'm discussing this with - probably one of the worlds biggest automotive lighting geeks, and I mean that in a good way - swears the 1034A wasn't introduced until 1966. But Stude lists a different part number for an amber bulb in the parts book for '64, I just don't know what the Mazda number for it is - 1034A or other?

nate

John Poulos wrote:

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Strangely, the owners manual says 1034.

Nate Nagel wrote:

Reply to
John Poulos

That is strange... the parts book has a different number for a '64 with an amber bulb, but doesn't include the Mazda number, only the Studebaker part number.

I know this is going to drive Daniel nuts until I can get him an explanation :)

nate

John Poulos wrote:

Reply to
Nate Nagel

N8, that's because it was a Studebaker-specific part. They had a team of elves locked in the basement of the Administration building, putting amber laquer on regular

1034 bulbs.

Gord Richmond

Reply to
Gordon Richmond

Don't do that when I'm drinking coffee!

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

OK, Nate; here ya' go:

I'm looking at Page 78 of the 1963 Motor's Handbook I've had for umpteen years. This was an annual publication from the people that put out the big Motor Manuals, only this is a soft-bound product about the thickness of a large magazine. These Handbooks were put out to get Quick Reference information into technician hands easier and cheaper than the bigger, annual Motor Manuals. They also sold advertising space in the handbooks, again like a magazine, so they probably more than paid for themselves before they were ever sold to the trade.

Anyway, for 1963 Studebakers, they list only 1034 bulbs. HOWEVER, to refute your friend's claim, for 1963 Buick Rivieras there is a footnote for Parking Lamp bulb information. The footnote says: Upper, #1034A - Lower, #67A - all others, #1034. This Handbook is copyright

1963, so they obviously had 1034A bulbs in 1963.

Ironically, looking over the entire chart, I see no cars other than

1963 Riviera, for which a 1034A lamp is specified. So, Studebaker could well have used a 1034A in 1964; it had already been in the lamp pipeline for at least a year.

(BTW, they could not publish this politically-incorrect tome today: On the cover is a piston ring advertisement from Thompson-Ramo- Wooldridge, Inc [TRW} They are advertising T-Flex Piston Rings...and have an attractive, smiling Indian Squaw holding up a box of same. The tag line says, "Honest Injun!" Not permissable today, I am sure!). BP

Reply to
bobcaripalma

Bob, any chance you'd be able to scan the appropriate page for me? That surprises even me, I didn't realize that anyone used clear lenses until '64 at the earliest, but then again, I haven't looked that closely at a '63 Riv.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I don't have a scanner, Nate, but would be glad to photocopy the page and mail you the copy. I think you just moved, so if you'll e-mail me your current mailing address to bobcaripalma at hotmail.com, I'll send you a photocopy. BP

Reply to
bobcaripalma