Help! Rust on 1999 Stratus Hood

Help!

I bought a new 1999 Dodge Stratus and now there are significant pockets of rust on the leading edge of the hood near the grill. Evidently this is a common problem. I took it back to my dealer last week and they told it's not covered under the warranty and I'd have to buy a new hood for $900. My Owner's manual say's that I'm covered for exterior rust on painted surfaces for 5 years/100K miles, which ever occurs first. I preceed both conditions but the dealer says that a "pinch weld" caused the rust and so I'm not covered. The manuals contains no language about pinch welds. What's concerning is that the rust is forming around the hood latch. If it breaches, the hood is certain to fly open on the freeway one day.

Does anyone have any advise on how to resolve this problem or initiate litigation before I cause an accident?

Thanks in advance, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com Northeast Ohio

Reply to
Keven

Well I have a pretty good idea of what you should do but I dare not tell you or you will sue me as well if it doesn't work out for you. Why don't you take your litigation and initiate sticking it up your ass.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

Reply to
Geoff

Reply to
deadbeat

I look at minor road rash like this as character for the vehicle. :)

Wuss. Live with the few dents.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

On 29 Apr 2004 12:07:40 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comic (TOM KAN PA) wrote:

Reply to
Steve B.

Dear Steve B:

You sound like an asshole, but I'm going to give you a couple minutes of my time anyway.

My gripe is that the pinch weld was never sealed at the factory and I don't feel liable for paying for a defect that wasn't my fault, especially when the Owner's Manual says that rust is covered under warranty if it's on a painted surface. Those are the manufacturer's words, not mine. This isn't road rash, this is moisture trapped within the interior suface at the pinch weld which has now rusted through to the exterior surface. I'm not the first Stratus owner with this problem and would prefer not to re-invent the wheel if someone else has already approached Chrysler on this issue.

Initiating litigation does not mean to automatically progress to a lawsuit, but I guess you wanted to sound cool and make me sound like someone who would sue McDonald's for getting hot coffee dumped in their lap. I'm guessing you have no legal experience or else you would have provided an intelligent responce. So do me a favor and logoff, put down your Old Milwalkee and go back to the bowling alley where you belong.

BTW, to the rest of you who provided me with helpfull responces, thank you. Getting a used hood from the bone yard may be a good idea.

Keven

Reply to
Keven

Your owners manual has the process to resolve complaints such as this.

I don't know why the others responding to you are being the way they are, they must be Chrysler Lemmings. You have the right under your warranty to get that issue (as you described it) repaired under Chrysler's warranty.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

First, this is a common rust area on the stratus (cloud cars).

Second, here is the warranty statement from the dodge website for all models. You need to waite for a hole from the back to the front.

A. Description of Coverage

This warranty covers the cost of all parts and labor

needed to repair or replace any sheet metal panels

that get holes from rust or other corrosion. If a

hole occurs because of something other than

corrosion, this warranty does not apply. Cosmetic

or surface corrosion - resulting, for example, from

stone chips or scratches in the paint - is not covered.

KS

Reply to
Kevin

There is arbitration information in the back of your instruction manual. You should also ask to talk to the district rep. Regarding the McDonald's coffee case, you might be interested in knowing that the judge was an extremely conservative Nixon appointee who later wrote that McDonald's got exactly what they deserved. The woman who was injured required multiple skin graphs and wrote McDonalds asking for medical reimbursement. When that did not work she sued. It came out that McDonald's had received thousands of complaints of burns from their overly hot coffee. The machines were designed that way so people would still have hot coffee after eating their burgers and frieds. McDonald's did not want them to return to the order desk to order coffee after eating their meal so they made their coffee super hot. Not any more.

Reply to
Art

Reply to
deadbeat