OT gas

Been $1.11/litre here on PEI for the last 4 weeks...6 cents less for diesel. Recently took the 4.0 Jeep to Ontario (driving the limit) instead of the Corolla--costs me $200+ more return than the C costs me. A diesel smart car is at 74 MPG is starting to make more sense for these solo trips...

Jim Bartley on PEI

Reply to
George

True, and even less people if we had to rely on our own rainfall for water. We live in a desert and it looks like all of the southwestern states are in for a long drought.

Reply to
Alex Magdaleno

(:-)

Reply to
Alex Magdaleno

No, thank corporate culture and monopolies.

Reply to
Alex Magdaleno

Remove the word "California" and replace the word "World" in that statement and the complexity of the problem become obvious. We need reasonable environment laws for which results can be achieved without leading to outlandish costs for little benefit.

Does anybody actually believe life as we know it would cease, if California used the same type of gasoline that is used in any of the surrounding states? ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

The answer to how those in the transport business deal with high fuel prices is evident every time I ship any parts: The price of fuel is passed on to the customer, just as oil companies pass the taxes they pay & cost of doing biz on to their customers.

Reply to
Barry

Reply to
Barry

Just follow closely the cost of groceries and other sundries.

Ya gotta luv the guv'ment who proudly crows the low rate of inflation... Of course they don't count energy, food 'n housing in the equation.

T. Jefferson was right! A little revolution every twenty years or so..

JT

Barry wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

funny, diesel according to neighbor hasnt budged --Shiva--

Reply to
me

Ya' think? ;)

Reply to
Mike Hunter

What make you think that?

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Reply to
Barry

What do you mean he was right? Most stations today are independently owned.

The lowest I saw was .099, but that was in the early fifties and long before the government and EPA got into the oil business. Today the states and the feds make more money per gallon, with their taxes on a gasoline, than do the oil companies or the station owners. The federal tax is .185, state taxes average around .36 a gallon with some as high as .44 a gallon.

After the hurricane reduced supply from the Gulf of Mexico, President Bush waved gasoline distribution regulations for two weeks. The price stopped going up then dropped and availability was freed up through the country.

Think about it, if the oil companies truly controlled the price at the pump, why would the price ever go down? The government regulations and the commodities buyers are the cause of souring gas prices, not the oil companies or the station owners. Station owners today are not making much more per gallon than they did when gasoline was around 25C and they made 5c. Today it is around 7c or 8c a gallon..

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Talk about warped math. 5 cents profit in 1960 was twenty percent of the cost of gas. At 3 dollars a gallon, the profit should be 60 cents. Or you could use inflation. 5 cents in 1960 is worth 33 cents today.

Reply to
Alex Magdaleno

went up another 15 cents this AM.. currently running 3.30 regular to 3.58 for premium, Springfield area.. saw 3.41 for regular for 2 places too, away from Springfield

Diesel? didnt budge..

--Shiva--

Reply to
me