OT Navy ship ID

I was a shipmate of a sailor who had served during the war on an unusual vessel. This was a Navy ship and the crew were Navy people. They had not one stitch of Navy uniforms on this ship. They carried no ID cards. (I doubt that they even had dogtags.)

Assuming Joe was honest, and as a Boston Irishman, he ceratinly should have been, what kind of ship was he on and can you give me a list of names which include his?

Oh, he was a BM, but could have been a GM, QM and probably not a Sonarman.

(The ship had an IX designation.)

Karl

Reply to
midlant

IX was a unclassified class. There were all sorts, here they are:

snipped-for-privacy@earthl> I was a shipmate of a sailor who had served during the war on an > unusual vessel.

Reply to
John Poulos

Constitution was designated IX-21 until the late 70s or so. I remember when the navy dropped the designation as I was on active duty and visited the ship around that time.

Reply to
bw