PC sitrep

Well, I got the Linspire. Neat looking package. I installed in on my new PC. Somehow I just couldn't get my cable-connected floppy disc drive to connect, and when I clicked onto the Earthlink logo to tie in to my regualar server, I got nothing.(Printer didn't do anything, either.) The next morning I called Earthlink and, after a while, they got back to me saying that their Linux Guru said that Earthlink and Linux just don't work together. I called Linspire to se what they said and no one got back to me.

Thus, I'm left with an open Linspire package that the seller will give me pennies on the dollar for and a new PC that is good for a paperweight (I removed the trial mini-Windows that came with it when putting in Earthlink.)

Funny thin, this formerly-noisey PC sounds great now - something good must have happened when I dropped it!

Karl

Reply to
midlant

Too bad you wiped out WinXP before trying Linux from a CD.

Go back to my prior response and get yourself a current Knoppix CD, it's super cheap ($2.00 for a download) and worth the try... get a friend with a CD burner to download it for you, then try it on his machine first.

I forgot to ask you, though, how you are connected to the internet.

When I tried Knoppix a couple of years back, it worked fine just booting off the CD. Everything seemed to be just "plug & play"... it booted up and looked around and made all the necessary adjustments. If you have an internal modem, and you want to use an ethernet connection to the internet, it might be best to remove the modem from the new computer at least temporarily. My recollection was that Knoppix did the internet setup all on it's own, although I do use a LinkSys router between my DSL modem and my computer, so that might make a difference. If your old computer is still connected, you may have to disconnect it from the internet (or power it down) while running Linux on the new computer.

Where did you find the Earthlink icon to click on? If it was on the Linspire desktop, I would assume it supports an Earthlink connection. I doubt there's anything weird about Linux and Earthlink, Linux should work OK with it... my guess is that Earthlink doesn't have Linux-knowledgeable people on the helpline so they won't assist you with Linux. They likely have installation software they ship new users that runs on WinXP to set up the connection under windows, and their people only support windows & Mac.

Rant....

I signed up with Earthlink once and had trouble with my initial connection and then had HORRENDOUS waits for their helpline people. The problem, it seemed, was that a physical connection from them to my phone line was never made at the switching station by their contractor, even though they had over 2 months notice to make that connection. My former ISP ended service and I was off the air about 2 weeks past the time Earthlink was supposed to connect me when I finally gave up and called them. I was pretty certain that they hadn't made the connection as scheduled, but I knew I had to call the helpline so they could make that same assessment. Took me over 6 hours of waiting to get to second-level help, including several abrupt disconnections while waiting, and then when they convinced themselves that the line probably wasn't connected, I was told it was too late in the day to assist me... despite my plea, they wouldn't just call ME when the line was fixed, or let me call back direct to second level, I'd have to call back and start all over again the next day and they'd only work on fixing the line if I was on the phone.

After over 5 hours waiting again the next day on "hold" for second-level, with a telephone receiver stuck to my now-cauliflower ear, I hung up and called their sales line (no wait) and canceled their "service". After my 2-day attempts to get help, I wanted nothing more to do with their helpline torture "service". It took me a month and several more hour-long phone waits, plus several calls to the phone company, to get them to release my DSL line so my new ISP could connect me. Earthlink still tried to charge me for a year-long contract even though I never got even a minute's worth of internet service. I told them I wasn't going to pay a dime, and if they'd provide me an address I'd ship their modem/installation kit back to them at my expense... they never did and it's still sitting in the corner 2 years later (my new ISP accepted & supported my old DSL modem).

snipped-for-privacy@earthl> Well, I got the Linspire. Neat looking package.

Reply to
WayneC

I've had nothing but good luck with Earthlink for the past few years - but I don't doubt your tale at all.

I just filled out my follow-up from the EL customer service QA people, ending with, "I don't know what I'll do at this point." That might get some positive reaction. Funny enough, Linspire (a local firm) has not called me back - the and earthlink logo was plainly on their screen.

I hate the idea of notifing all of those on in my address book.)

Karl (do> Too bad you wiped out WinXP before trying Linux from a CD.

Reply to
midlant