Pricey exaust!

This Honda exaust makes Nimesh's $24,000 engine look downright cheap!

Jeff DeWitt

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

You better hurry! Only one left in stock.

Matthew

Reply to
mbstude

Heh... Last weekend, I dropped the exhaust systme on my little $200 Civic to "fix" a rattle when the car first starts. Found that the cat was pretty well plugged, (it ain't anymore!), and the inner pipe had separated on the segment from from the cat to the muffler. The pipe was not really repairable but since its double walled, I just rebolted the whole thing back and the car even has more power now.

It was the easiest exhaust work that I ever did...

JT

Jeff DeWitt wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Local muffler shop does a whole lot of 'test pipes' if a person wants to check if the converter is plugged and you still want to drive the car.Cash and carry pricing ;)

Bob40...it's only illegal if ya get caught.

Reply to
Bob

This was so simple, (the converter unbolts from each end), a long rod started the remains to drop out and within about fifteen minutes, it was all on the floor. It's all back on the car and nobody would be the wiser. Besides, the Honda has turned 25 and is now exempt from emissions testing anyway.

I just love the way the thing goes together. No clamps, garbage falling into your eyes, etc. Superbly engineered...

JT

Bob wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Yup, engineers that spec slip joints for the cat should be forced to replace one on a 25 year old car IMHO... much easier to just grind the old bolts off.

With the proliferation of full stainless exhaust systems I don't know why ALL exhaust joints aren't flanged for piece-by-piece replacement (well, yes I do, but I don't like it)

nate

Grumpy AuC> This was so simple, (the converter unbolts from each end), a long rod

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I like straight pipes, reducing exhaust pipe diameter one to two sizes, full length exhaust and no mufflers or other restrictions.

Reply to
oldcarfart

I just fitted a JDM engine and manual trans to my step son's 94 Civic and Honda has my respect for building such an easy car to work on. Every bolt location was dealt with the idea that someone would eventually have to remove it. This meant that if it had to come off I could get to it with out having to be a miniature contortionist. After pulling the engine and stripping it down I was amazed at the tolerances and fitment of all the parts. It was a learning experience.

Wiz.

Reply to
Wizard of Oz

My first Asian engine experience was in 1973/ 1974 timeframe on a Toyota 2TC engine. My first impression was the exterior was better machined than any domestic engine internals I had ever seen.

Reply to
oldcarfart

For me, 1983 is the cut-off year. No computer, no "check engine" idiot lights etc.

Every issue, (and they have been minor at that), that I've had to deal with utilized fully my gut instincts from working on old cars in general. I had a problem with overcharging and simply removed the cover on the regulator and tweaked it there like in the "old" days. Alternator can be removed in a matter of minutes as can be the A/C compressor. Water pump is a little more tricky taking about an hour (at my slow pace).

I love the handling of the early generation Civics. Like glue on the road.

My big issue now is finding a good 1335cc EJ1 engine core to rebuild as a spare. I have all new internal parts on hand but the cores are scarce to find these days.

JT

Wizard of Oz wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

It's amazing as regards build quality. My little shitbox just turned over 160K and the main issue of one weak hole is the result of the previous owner "overhauling" it and breaking a ring when the problem was simply a plugged converter when the car was about twenty years old.

But, Austin is a weird place...

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

A 2 foot chisel shaped sharpened rod, welded to unused air chisel tool puts the job into warp speed.

Freddy

Grumpy AuC> This was so simple, (the converter unbolts from each end), a long rod

Reply to
Freddy Badgett

Yeah, but that would require extra effort and resources. The ex-prison labor that did the job was more economical..

JT

Freddy Badgett wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

A relatively stock street driven Honda Civic turned over 125 at Maxton this weekend. There is a Civic that has run over 200 at Bonneville. Say what you want about 'em they can be made to put out some serious horsepower!

Joe Roberts

Reply to
itraseecab