Champ seats

Seems like we've been through this before but...

The seat in my Champ pickup is a big, fat bench, it's got a broken spring, the cover is bad, and it's just too fat, both the bottom cushion and the back.

I've tried test fitting a couple of different buckets, one out of a Ford Tempo and one out of a Ranger (I think), and both have the same problems.

On the outside edge the floor is just like a Lark, but then the floor kicks up to clear the gas tank, drive shaft and exhaust, and a Lark (or Ford for that matter) bucket won't fit.

The bench straddles the bulge so there is no problem.

I think what I'd really like to find is a comfortable bench with a fold down arm rest, and just to make it more complicated it would probably be better if it was a low back bench because of that brace that runs across the back of the cab.

Anyone have any ideas? Maybe something like a Dodge Dakota might have a seat like that?

Thanks!

Jeff DeWitt

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

I'd remove the Champ seat....I'd then strip off the ratty cover and understuffing (carefully), then inspect the springs. What I've done in the past is pulled the springs from the center section of the seat/ back and shift them to the driver's area. The springs spin right out and then back in with little effort. Now you essentially have new springs to start your recovering effort. If you want to stay stock, the covers are around, but if not some vendors can sell you a nice pair of vinyl/cloth covers that will make your day. You can flip your stuffing around if you're real frugal, but an upolstery shop has fresh batting/foam if need be....Personally, I think Studebaker original seats were very comfortable, especially the bench type....But its your call. I've had Stude seats restuffed with foam and strapping and it makes for a crappy long ride. My opinion.....Good luck....

Reply to
jbreen

That's good advice, and in fact I'd prefer it to be something like stock, however that seat is just too big in that cab. I did some measurements and if I could put seats like my Jeep has I'd gain something like 6" of headroom and 6" between the steering wheel and my chest. Of course Cherokee seats would look REALLY weird in there... and wouldn't really mount to the floor anyway.

Jeff DeWitt

Reply to
Jeffrey DeWitt

Jeff, a friend of mine has a '62 Champ and put the front seats and console of a Taurus in it. Comfy seats all done up in leather, cupholders and oh yeah, he delights in driving down the boulevard in front of my house, stopping and then laying a 200' patch of rubber just to remind me what a Stude should look like when it's on the road and not up on jackstands. Grrrrr.

Brooksie

Reply to
Brooksie

Bring it back to me when yer done with it.......

Ray

Jeff DeWitt wrote:

Reply to
Studeman

You might want to look at the second or third seat from a minivan or Suburban or similar vehicle. Many of these things go to the scrappers with next to NO wear on the rear seats.

Any non-stock seats will require that you fabricate suitable adaptor brackets. Just resign yourself to that necessity. But you can pick seats that may make the job a little easier.

Gord Richmond

Reply to
Gordon Richmond

rear seats.

Just resign

little easier.

That's exactly what I had to do when I put buckets from some Nissan sports car in the T-Cab. The back seat brackets are bolted to the floor but I had to install a cross angle in the front to accommodate the front seat mounts. They are not bad but I would actually prefer a Stude split bench from a Lark which should fit right in.

Probably some of the wood bracket could be trimmed off to gain another

1" or so of head room. Of course, this was never of concern to me.

JT

(Who wishes Studebaker used a two door rather than four door section for T-Cabs)

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

I'm thinking, look at some older vans.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

use the stock frame base for floor fit and low profile seating like the SUV/minivan 3rd seat mentioned

Reply to
oldcarfart

No problem, I wouldn't junk a Studebaker seat if someone could use it.

Jeff DeWitt

Studeman wrote:

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

If you could find a bench seat out of a later "Lark type", you could remove the little screws from the sides and the seat back will fold forward allowing access to the area behind the seat. That cures the "big" seat issue. I used a bench seat out of a '65. Very comfortable and handy.

Reply to
Fred Buchholz