R1/R2 Damper

Why is this Vibration Damper so valuable on eBay? #3200020552789

Reply to
satdoc2 via CarKB.com

John Poulos

How important is a heavy vibration damper on a high output motor?

John Poulos wrote:

Reply to
Pat Drnec

Pretty much an "unobtainium" item (very hard to find). Paul Johnson

Reply to
Paul Johnson

As long as you don't wind it up over 5000 RPM or so, you can live with out it.

"From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A harmonic balancer (also called crank pulley damper or vibration damper) is a device connected to the crankshaft of an engine to reduce torsional vibration.

Every time the cylinders fire, torque is imparted to the crankshaft. The crankshaft deflects under this torque, which sets up vibrations when the torque is released. At certain engine speeds the torques imparted by the cylinders are in synch with the vibrations in the crankshaft, which results in a phenomenon called resonance. This resonance causes stress beyond what the crankshaft can withstand, resulting in crankshaft failure.

To prevent this vibration, a harmonic balancer is attached to the front part of the crankshaft. The damper is composed of two elements: a mass and an energy dissipating element. The mass resists the acceleration of the vibration and the rubber/clutch/fluid element dissipates the energy of vibration.

There has been a trend at times by some "performance enthusiasts" to remove the harm> How important is a heavy vibrati>

Reply to
John Poulos

Reply to
John Poulos

Reply to
satdoc2 via CarKB.com

Reply to
John Poulos

Doesn't come up with anything using that number.

Reply to
Alex Magdaleno

Well, I misjudged how much R1/R2 dampers are going for. I'm glad I decided not to sell my R2 engine, it would cost be more then I offered it for to build another.

satdoc2 via CarKB.com wrote:

Reply to
John Poulos

Reply to
John Poulos

Didn't Ted Harbit sell a racing version dampner for Stude engines?

satdoc2 via CarKB.com wrote:

Reply to
oldcarfart

Reply to
John Poulos

The groove can be machined into the Avanti Damper.

Reply to
Alex Magdaleno

Reply to
John Poulos