Rat Rod Custom, Yea right???

One of the most overused selling points on any old hunk of iron is "Would make a great Rat Rod Custom"!!!! Do these people pushing this iron have a clue what a "Rat Rod" is. I don't either, but I imagine it as somewhat of a custom. Or does it have something to do with the Rat Fink cars. Or is it have to be one of the ugliest cars on the planet, just to make it uglier? Oh its a 4 door sedan nobdy wanted when it was new,It'll make a great rat rod. If you are looking for selling points, might I point out some.

  1. Does it run?
2.Can it move under its own power? 3.Can it stop?

Pretty good questions. Malcom

Reply to
Malcom Gillette

Malcom - a "rat rod" is pretty much any old-looking rod that seems unfinished, unpainted, purposely ugly or outrageous looking, and sometimes even unsafe. Personally, I haven't seen many "customs" that met this criteria, but the latest buzzwords are often overused. The real head scratcher for me is, the people who seem to be living in this "lifestyle" that corresponds to the rat rod culture. What gives? Ed Roth didn't do anything similar, and when asked about the culture his response was "it's nuts!". It will soon be supplanted by another fad, and we'll be seeing more of those words that define that concept. Don't sweat it!

Reply to
zoombot

LOL.....here Malcom...check this out...hey ,did you ever here the old saying, ''if I have to explain ,you wouldn't understand''.. ebay...... 170010165899 oh yeah, it runs, moves under its own power and stops...and doesn't appear to be too ugly, LOL

Malcom Gillette wrote:

Reply to
Tex

Reply to
itraseecab

Those are the last items I worry about. My list would be:

  1. How's the body, chrome ?
  2. How's the paint?
  3. How about the interior ?

Malcom Gillette wrote:

Reply to
John Poulos

'Rat Rod' has become a used car term... Sort of like 'Needs restored'.. WTH is that? The minute a label gets created for a fad, I tend to lose interest. Now the vehicle itself is another thing. It's the label that gets used to sell that turns me off.

Reply to
Jeff Rice

My list is

1) Body 2) interior