Rear Axle (Lark)

Hello again fellow Stude lovers. Bad day with the today broke the right side rear axle. I was headed towards Church and felt a vibration in the steering wheel that never was noticeable before I was turning a right corner when bang out of no where felt the car jump and a terrible crunch noise. I thought what the heck happened. I just had changed the front brakes on the Lark and thought that something had happened to the front. Trying to stop and find out what had happened noticed that no brakes. Thank goodness I was only going

10-15mph. Finally stopped the car and jumped out to check what had happened. Checked the left side of the car and found no problems circled around to the right and found the right rear wheel gone. Went to retrieve the wheel that was out in the middle of traffic and discovered that the axle had broken. Went back to the car to find if any damage to the car. Whew no damage to the fenders or to the wheel or tire. Last year just put Cragar SS's on so I was real glad no damage to the rim.

So, I have decided to swap to a different rear end. What I need from you guys is what is the best rear end to change over to. Would really like to get away from the tapered axle. The Lark is a 1960 convertible. I have a 259 engine bone stock and I am not planning on making it a hot rod. Just need a reliable cruiser. I drive the car to and from work and cruise to shows. The current axle I have in the Lark is a Twin Traction I can't remember the number. I would like something that would help with gas mileage since gasoline prices are getting out of control. Where I live there is a lot of hills and and curves. I have 3 speed tranny and I don't believe that it came with the car. If anyone is interested in purchasing the axle when I remove it from the car it will be for sale. If anyone is interested in trading for an axle I'm always up for trading. Like I said the only problem with the current axle is right broken side and some damage to brake backing plate when it drug on the ground. I can get pictures of the damage if anyone wants to see the damage. I really appreciate your help.

Thanks, Kyle

Reply to
Arkieiowa

Consider flanged axle conversion kit.

This will eliminate the tapered axles and can be installed with axle assy on the car.

Arkieiowa wrote:

Reply to
Transtar60

Reply to
Transtar60

Kyle.... Here is one opinion....(I agree with Transtar) Put in a pair of Fairborn's flanged axle setups and NEVER worry about ever breaking an axle again. Then get a Turner Brake dual master cylinder conversion kit and never worry about a total brake failure due to a single part breaking again. The money you WILL spend to do a complete swap over will be the same as the conversion parts. BTDT.... Jeff (Oh, and swap in an O/D 3 speed and you will get great mileage) Rice

"Arkieiowa" wrote...

Reply to
Jeff Rice

Any chance the geometry was askew and the Crager wheel caused some torsional stress crack ???

Reply to
jbreen

Ain't no way in blue blazes that the Cragar wheel caused the axle to break. It was pure unadulterated metal fatigue, plain and simple. I have been running Cragar SS mags on my 59 Silver Hawk for the last 7 years without an axle breaking. Anyone running the 44 axles should really consider going to the flanged axle conversion. Fairborn Studebaker has them and they are cheap insurance!!!!!

Reply to
Ron Butts

Depending on where you are located, I have a model 44 3:51 from a '55 Prez with about 70K on it. I wouldn't worry about those axles.

Good deal at $50 if you are near or in Texas...

JT

Arkieiowa wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

I have to agree with JT. A flanged axle is not necessarily a cure all for axle breakage. If the flanged axle is fatigued it too will break. If memory serves me correctly the Dana 44 and Dana 27 used the same axle. Check with some of the parts vendors and SASCO. Someone may have a new set of axles for your application. The dual master cylinder is definitely a good way to go.

Paul V

Reply to
Paul Villforth

Reply to
Transtar60

Even when running stock wheels, you can still break an axle. But deviating from the stock offset can increase the chances for premature king pin bushing & wheel bearing failure at the front, and axle fatigue failure on the rear. It has to do with leverage. Copy and paste this into Google, for various replies:

change in wheel offset leads to axle failure

If the inner oil seal on the rear axle has cut a groove into the rear axle shaft, this causes a stress-raiser at that point. By studying the beach-marks of a failed axle, you will typically see an initiation crack which went perhaps 10% across the surface, of which the remaining 90% is classed as a sudden fracture.

A stress raiser can also be initiated from a rust pit (or nick), as typically seen upon close inspection of a failed coil spring.

KK

Reply to
keith_kichefski

If what you say was the rule rather than the exception, there would a hell of a lot of rich lawyers who amased their $$$ by litigating lawsuits against all of the custom wheel manufactures these past 50 some odd years. I have spent more money on custom wheels over the past 47 years than I really want to recall and I have never broken an axle even at the drag strip nor have I ever had any front suspension damage as you mentioned. I'm sure I'm not alone in this experience. Ron

Reply to
Ron Butts

Yeah... But look at the price!

JT

Transtar60 wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Reply to
Transtar60

what if, what if, what if a frog had a glass ass....it would only jump once. you guys are amazing bitchin' about 50 year old parts breaking and prices to repair/upgrade. good thing y'all love studes because anything else would cost at least twice the price. and on top of it all you expect someone to buy your already broken axle that you deemed financially unreasonable to repair. I am confused. Are you capable of the fabrication to install other than the OEM part or gonna seek out lowest bidder?

Reply to
oldcarfart

ROFLMAO

Ah, Calvin - I'm glad you're gonna be around for a long long time.

oldcarfart wrote:

Reply to
Pat Drnec

I was wondering about that comment too - about buying the broken axle - makes a good property corner marker for the new magnetic devices that pickup property markers.

Reply to
Paul Villforth

It just seems to me when I want to buy something it might as well be made of gold, but if I want to sell something it is as if my stuff is schitt.

Reply to
oldcarfart

Reply to
Transtar60