Rear Axle (Lark)

Hello again fellow Stude lovers. Bad day with the today broke the right side rear axle. I was headed towards Church and felt a vibration in the steering wheel that never was noticeable before I was turning a right corner when bang out of no where felt the car jump and a terrible crunch noise. I thought what the heck happened. I just had changed the front brakes on the Lark and thought that something had happened to the front. Trying to stop and find out what had happened noticed that no brakes. Thank goodness I was only going

10-15mph. Finally stopped the car and jumped out to check what had happened. Checked the left side of the car and found no problems circled around to the right and found the right rear wheel gone. Went to retrieve the wheel that was out in the middle of traffic and discovered that the axle had broken. Went back to the car to find if any damage to the car. Whew no damage to the fenders or to the wheel or tire. Last year just put Cragar SS's on so I was real glad no damage to the rim.

So, I have decided to swap to a different rear end. What I need from you guys is what is the best rear end to change over to. Would really like to get away from the tapered axle. The Lark is a 1960 convertible. I have a 259 engine bone stock and I am not planning on making it a hot rod. Just need a reliable cruiser. I drive the car to and from work and cruise to shows. The current axle I have in the Lark is a Twin Traction I can't remember the number. I would like something that would help with gas mileage since gasoline prices are getting out of control. Where I live there is a lot of hills and and curves. I have 3 speed tranny and I don't believe that it came with the car. If anyone is interested in purchasing the axle when I remove it from the car it will be for sale. If anyone is interested in trading for an axle I'm always up for trading. Like I said the only problem with the current axle is right broken side and some damage to brake backing plate when it drug on the ground. I can get pictures of the damage if anyone wants to see the damage. I really appreciate your help.

Thanks, Kyle

Reply to
Arkieiowa