Smart car update O.T.

Ever wonder what would happen to one of those in a wreck?

DeWitt

John Poulos wrote:

Jeff DeWitt

Jeff,

Very interesting video. It really is amazing that the cage worked to save the car. Now, the trick would be to make it work to save the occupants! George of the Flathead.

Reply to
FlatheadGeo

wrote "Now, the trick would be to make it work to save the occupants!"

Good point. Those crashes looked marginally survivable, WAY better than I would have expected but maybe not good enough for me to invest my own crash dummies.

Remember when we used to think that safety and performance features from racing found their way into production cars? With the number of NASCAR fans there are now, why isn't there more agitation to design crash and roll cages into midsize sedans? Sure, the doors are a problem (the old "perimeter frame" had most of that licked), but the rest of the car should not be that hard to do. If they can make that phone booth survivable, think what we could do with, say, the former Five Hundred, NKA the Taurus Galaxy Victoria Fordor, or Whatever You Will Buy...

And 6-point belts and a cool-suit, I want that too.

Reply to
comatus

One of the big problems with a car this small is what happens to all that energy in a collision, it has to go SOMEWHERE. Sure the structure of the car holds up amazingly well, but the the forces the occupants are subjected to are far above what is survivable.

Jeff DeWitt

snipped-for-privacy@bex.net wrote:

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt