OTish..... Smart Car Roof Rack

Not really a maintenance issue I know but still car related:
We have a Smart Car, one of the 'old' shaped ones (before the jokes
start, we wanted something to tow on a trailer and it is ideal for that, plus we like it).
I've just run into the first problem due to its size and luggage capacity- I can't get my beach caster fishing rod in it! I have other rods I can use but I would really like to be able to carry the beach caster- just for short runs from campsites to the beach (which would normally be near will pick them for proximity- say under 10 miles.
A simple roof rack would be ideal. As it happens, I've looked for a Smart car roof rack before for something else and couldn't find one. I solved that problem another way.
Has anyone ever seen a Smart Car roof rack? Load capacity isn't an issue- a couple of fishing rods is all I'll be carrying- although I may fix a short antenna to it.
I want a rack or bars, not one of those bag things- they look dodgy.
On 21/04/2018 15:08, Brian Reay wrote:

yes - including home brewed magnetic mounts attached to drainpipe. No idea what was inside but I don't see why a rod wouldn't fit.

https://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel2.php?emulate=whycar&query=Smart
or am I missing something?
--
Robin
On 21/04/2018 16:28, Robin wrote:

Smart cars have a plastic roof- magnets don't work.

Their roof boxes require roof bars, which are the elusive items ;-)
(They came up in a previous search.....)

On 21/04/2018 20:25, Brian Reay wrote:

Well they looked like magnets but I suppose they might have been glued/screwed on. Then again, the only person I know with a Smart Car tells me the base model ("Pure") used to come with a metal roof as standard. And that seems to be born out by
https://www.parkers.co.uk/smart/forfour/features-safety-and-equipment/
http://smartmaniacs.co.uk/forum/the-cars/fortwo-450-sept-1998-oct-2007/60201-confused-with-smart-trim-levels
though I accept neither state that it's a magnetic metal: could be aluminium etc.
--
Robin
On 21/04/2018 21:39, Robin wrote:

The exposed panels are all plastic (or some such) on the one we have- a 451. The safety shell 'frames' the roof, doors, windscreen etc, but the roof panel is plastic.

On 21/04/2018 15:08, Brian Reay wrote:

Yakima Q-towers for 2008 onward
<snip>

By that do you mean these?:
https://www.handiworld.com/handirack.html/
I've got a pair and used them to carry a folding boat and some sheet materials (and both made it home ok).
Not sure what opens on a Smart car or how strong the roof is though.
Cheers, T i m
On 21/04/2018 21:04, T i m wrote:

I'd not seen those- the thing I'd seen was more like a bag you tied on and filled.
Something like those may be ok, I don't see me using it for more than a fishing rod or two so they should be OK. I will investigate further- thank you.

Ok. I also have a Thule Ranger 90 that is a 'soft' roof box but it's a bit more than a bag (but it is a bag as such). ;-)
https://www.thule.com/en-gb/gb/cargo-carrier/car-top-carrier/thule-ranger-90-_-601100
Handy for bulky but light stuff like hand luggage when doing an emergency airport run. ;-(
I may well also get the 500 as it's narrow enough to share the roof bars with the folding dinghy but takes up far less room than a rigid box when it's off the car. Again, handy for oars, rigging and buoyancy aids etc.
https://www.thule.com/en-gb/gb/cargo-carrier/car-top-carrier/thule-ranger-500-_-603500

Id say the only issue (for you) would be having opening windows at the back or hoping the door openings long enough to get the 'bars' far enough apart to support the rods etc.

Worth a look and another advantage being they can be used on pretty well any vehicle if such was needed in an emergency. They also comply with all the regs etc (apparently).
If you just needed to provide a couple of anchor points fore and after to tie a fishing rod to then you *could* use those 4-sucker handles they use for lifting sheets of glass but whilst they would probably work, they wouldn't be approved.
Cheers, T i m
On 21/04/18 22:26, T i m wrote:

I did look at the sucker idea for the 'other problem' (antenna mounting) but the roof panel isn't smooth so I doubt a sucker would hold.
The rod weighs naff all and I could secure the ends using the towing eyes- I have one and another isn't expensive, but there is still the problem of the support on the roof. I don't want to damage the car.
On 21/04/2018 15:08, Brian Reay wrote:

buy a beach-caster that splits down to three pieces.
On 22/04/18 14:58, critcher wrote:

I could, in fact I have one which 'telescopes' but the rod in question is a one I like/prefer to use.
On 21/04/2018 15:08, Brian Reay wrote:

such as this https://www.anglingdirect.co.uk/shakespeare-beta-beachcaster-rod?msclkid 4420870068153a10ed7a5b9545d842&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Bing%20Shopping&utm_term03400095034&utm_content=All%20Products

Site Timeline