Smart Company O.T.

I raved before about Guitar Center where my kid works, and how smart they are with their workers. They must have a dozen different commission and incentive programs that reward every type of sales goal from gross sales to warranty sales and maybe 6 different employee of the month/year type things. This week, they just outdid themselves with a "Employee Musician" program. They are setting up a web site for the musicians that work there to upload their music, and Guitar Center will upload it to Youtube, Itunes and the rest at no charge and cut a check to the employee for any music downloads from a pay site. They'll also allow liberal time off for gigs, even a leave of absence for a tour. I suspect they are trying to expand into the music promotion business while making their workers happy. I'm just glad to see a example of a US company that knows if you make your employees happy, they'll make you money. My kid found out about it when he nervously approached his boss asking to leave early for a last minute gig and was told "no problem, bring us a live CD"

JP/Maryland Studebaker On the Net

My Ebay items:
Wagonaire

64 Daytona HT 64 Commander 2 dr 63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk 63 Avanti R1 63 Daytona convert 63 Lark 2 door 63 Lark 2 door #2 62 Lark 2 door 62 Daytona HT/ 4 speed 60 Hawk 59 3E truck 52 Starlight 52 Starliner 51 Commander
Reply to
John Poulos

If your kid needs some production help, my SIL is a pretty high end producer down in Florida... I could mention him as a 'friend of a friend' type thing.. Jeff

"John Poulos" wrote...

Reply to
Jeff Rice

Thanks, I'll get you a new CD.

Jeff Rice wrote:

Reply to
John Poulos

John - I was in the music biz for quite awhile and most folks I know think Guitar Center is the evil WalMart of guitar stores. They can't keep their help cause they don't pay squat - further, they do no service work of any kind. They wanna send it back to the maker instead of hiring in-house service folks for instant gratification of their customer base. They stay in business strictly on the lowest price - that's all. Hope he's happy while he's there.

Reply to
zoombot

He went from a $10.00 hour sales job at a local guitar shop to making

40K/year plus with all his commissi> John - I was in the music biz for quite awhile and most folks I know
Reply to
John Poulos

Cool for him, John.

Reply to
zoombot

They can't be that smart.

I bought one of my nephews a $25 gift certificate from them for Christmas last year.

Somehow that one purchase made me a preferred customer, I bet they've spent more in postage sending me junk then they made off the gift certificate, it's unlikely I'll ever buy anything from them again unless maybe it's another gift certificate.

It does sound like they have a good attitude toward their employees though.. I wish my employer was so enlighten!

Jeff DeWitt

John Poulos wrote:

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt