PCV for six cyl

Any one know the FLAPS part number for a Lark six cylinder PCV valve? I have a Studebaker part number but that does me no good. I'm make my own system and need one that will operate at the right vacuum settings. It's hard to obtain the vacuum numbers of a PCV so one from a Stude OHV six will be close. I have read that some one suggested one from a similar sized 170. That could be the way to go.

Wiz.

Reply to
Wizard of Oz

there are two basic types, gravity seat and spring seated. The gravity type must be installed and maintained upright, the spring seat works 0-90 degrees or 270 to 0 degrees (i.e. can lay flat) gravity type rattles when shaken. As for vacuum numbers I am unfamiliar with specs. but basically should open >3". Asian vehicle applications good source for vacuum accessories.

Reply to
oldcarfart

Thanks for the info.

I will check for a PCVs from the Civic I just worked on. I have looked into the PCV situation and all I can gather is that most of them look like they are just made for a specific application in regards to size of connections. The vacuum specs could all be the same. I only found one company that was doing research into how a PCV was affected by vacuum across the rpm range. I have one from a Stude V8 I could use but if the Honda one can be used it would be easier to get in the future.

Wiz.

Reply to
Wizard of Oz

I seem to recall that the 6 cyl. PCV valve is the same as that used on the R-1 motor. That valve has a 1/4" pipe thread on the end that goes into the manifold or carburetor, and a hose nipple on the end going to the engine. If that sounds right, check NAPA #29267, which is the valve for the R-1.

Jim Bradley

'64 Dayt> Any one know the FLAPS part number for a Lark six cylinder PCV valve? I have

Reply to
Jim Bradley

my build philosophy has been to make the vehicle fit OEM/ off the shelf parts and it has worked well. Think of breaking a part in Pick- your-nose, Iowa that had been modified to fit. Now you are fukked, an OEM part can be bought from FLAPS and you are on your way.

Reply to
oldcarfart

I've been to PickYourNose, Ia... (Maybe it was North PickYourNose....I don't remember exactly ) Reminds me a lot of ScratchYourButt, Georgia... Jeff

"oldcarfart" wrote:

Reply to
Jeff Rice

I agree, brackets and such are OK to modify but anything with moving parts ought to be stock for *something* just remember what you got it from so you know what to ask for!

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I have one from a standard 259 and it runs the opposite way. The threaded end goes towards the engine. I will check into your suggestion because NAPA has those in stock and I have made the V8 style fit.

Any one have a side cover breather for a 63 six that has the PCV fitting or does any one know if a OHV side cover will fit a flat head six? Today I will see if I can make a forward mounting side cover fit the rear with a hole drilled in the center and an adapter fitted so I can run a PCV from that. Trying to run one from the bolt mounted breather puts it close to the exhaust manifold. I will try to get some photos when I'm done.

Wiz.

Reply to
Wizard of Oz

My old Avanti R-1 had a PCV that screwed into the valley cover and the hose went from there to the carb. When I first got the car back in

1970, the idle would fluctuate continuously up and down by about 50 rpm. Replacing the PCV valve was the answer. The Stude #1562731 and at the time bought an extra one (NOS) that will be going on eBay shortly.

JT

Jim Bradley wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

That would be the way that the PCV was set up on a 259/289, but on the R-1, the PCV valve screwed into the base of the AFB with the hose connected to a vent on the right side of the oil pan. IIRC, the R-1 didn't have a fitting on the valley pan. Perhaps a P.O. couldn't find the right PCV valve and changed it over to the "standard" configuration by changing the valley pan. In any case, a bad PCV valve can create several problems that suggest a bad carb.

Jim Bradley

'64 Dayt> My old Avanti R-1 had a PCV that screwed into the valley cover and the

Reply to
Jim Bradley

....and don't forget, the PCV attachment point in the rear of the AFB has been proven to be misengineered. It should be connected to the front. Carter/Edelbrock has testified to this years ago, when they got involved in a complaint about fouled plugs. It seems, after a couple years with the rear PCV fitting, they realized that the action of the valve wasn't being fully utilized because the back barrels of the carb weren't in continuous use. Some conservative drivers never put their foot in it and the PCV valve just loaded up to oil. The next time the rear barrels opened, a big slug of oil went down the manifold. After a while, this would foul the rear spark plugs, usually 7 and 8, causing a lot of grief. There is a letter out about this, but it may only apply to the older AFB's.

Reply to
SilverStude