1985 90 drum to disc conversion?

My axle case has started to leak due to rust and all I have is a disc braked axle case. I have the hubs and callipers but no diff as I will have to use my old 10 spline diff. Will the drum halfshafts fit the disc axle with my diff in it? I'm prolly gunna have to get discs, pads, pad fitting kit, wheelbearings seals and gaskets and various nuts and bolts. Oh, just remembered something else will I need a different brake limiting valve to feed the rear callipers so I don't overbreak on the rear axle? Cheers Jon

Reply to
Jon

It's going to be easier to find a drum-braked casing! You'll get one (probably including many other bits) for the same sort of money as the bits that you know you will have to add anyway.

Disc-braked rear axles aren't as clever as you might think: unless you are a serial hard user of the brakes they will deteriorate very rapidly with lack of use (the front brakes do most of the work).

Reply to
Dougal

Hmmmmmmm yes I can see where you're coming from the amount I use it it'll be discs every 2 years, but the axle case I have is like brand new, I've had it for years had it powder coated so at least it'll look nice :) and last a while.

Reply to
Jon

Don't worry too much. My hybrid has disks at the rear and that does very low mileage yet I have only replaced the rear disks once in 15 years.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike