Thrown rod

Turns out the 4E truck had not "thrown a rod" as listed on ebay, but a wire was loose on the starter. Once we fixed that, we did hear some loud rod rapping, but was able to drive it around the driveway. The PO had been driving it like that, but I never would. Now I need to decide rather to save the 245 six, or do the Caddy swap.

Reply to
John Poulos

jerrystudebaker

What shapes the 4E truck in, John? I've been out of the net for a while and missed your getting it. What is it? SWB, LWB, 4 spd, 3 spd/OD?

Those trucks with the 245 six are kinda rarer then the rare V8 ones. Kinda neat in their own right.

Bo

Reply to
64daytonaht

This one, and it's even nicer then the pix:

9&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item)0035803369&rd=1,1

64dayt> What shapes the 4E truck in, John? I've been out of the net for a while and
Reply to
John Poulos

I agree. The 245 was/is a great engine. OTOH, if it were a Champion six, I would relegate it to the scrap heap as I have done several times in the past.

The Caddy should be reserved for that very "special" project preferably of non-Stude vintage...

JT

64dayt>
Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

9&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item)0035803369&rd=1,1 >

I'd rebuild the Commander Engine and sell the Caddy engine to finance it.

Reply to
transtar60xxx

Put the Caddy in the '52 Starlight and save the 245. The 245 w/overdrive is a nice driving truck and with the equipment it has, it is rare enough to save as equipped. Paul Johnson

Reply to
Paul Johnson

Not a option, the Caddy will go in one Studebaker or another.

snipped-for-privacy@earthl>> This one, and it's even nicer then the pix:

9&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item)0035803369&rd=1,1 >>

Reply to
John Poulos

The truck! Jerry

9&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item)0035803369&rd=1,1>>>

Reply to
jerrystudebaker

IMHO the Caddy motor should go in the 52, it's a rod already and the Caddy motor would be MUCH cooler than just another mouse motor, plus that 245 is a pretty cool engine and as a number of folks have pointed out is kind of rare.

Jeff DeWitt

John Poulos wrote:

9&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item)0035803369&rd=1,1 >>>

Reply to
Jeffrey DeWitt

The Caddy engine will look real nice riding around in the back strapped to a pallet. Them trucks ride better with a load in the back.

jerrystudebaker wrote:

9&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item)0035803369&rd=1,1>>>>

Reply to
transtar60xxx

Well IMHO, save tha caddy for a car that would just about be impossible to bring back stock without having to do a large second mortgage.

I will have the leftovers from a 59 Lark two door wag> The Caddy engine will look real nice riding around in the back strapped

9&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item)0035803369&rd=1,1> >>>>

Reply to
bob m

Why not drop the pan and see how bad the crank is? Worst case, you can look for a company that does 'In place machining'. As long as there is room to work (trucks are easy) they can turn down an out of round journal. A few guys around here have gone that route and never had any regrets. KK

Reply to
keith_kichefski

What suspension is in the front? I don't know how much heavier the V8 is, but when I put a 232 in my 49 2R5, there was a noticeable "rake" in the truck.. I like the stance, and so do those who see the truck, but IMHO, the axle is too close to the frame and I am thinking about putting in another couple of leafs. Rides great tho... Just something to think about. Dick S.

63 Avanti 61 Champ 49 2R5
Reply to
Dick S.

Reply to
John Poulos

I think that the 245 is about a hundred lbs lighter than the V8. There was a pretty good discussion on engine weights a couple of years ago. Now, the Champ is hardly worth its weight when used as a boat anchor...

JT

John Poulos wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire