Timing problem

I've had this problem for some time now and it is not the Distributor because three of them have done it. When checking maximum advance when it reach the max which has been 20-24 depending on the distributor, the timing starts to jump around at least 4 or

5 degrees, about 2 up and 2 down from the max. The engine has 8000 miles on it, the distributors were rebuilt and the latest one is brand new. The vacuum is disconnected and I have bypassed my J&S knock sensor. I'm not sure if it did it when the engine was new but I don't think it did. Any ideas on what to check? Thanks

Alex

Reply to
Alex Magdaleno

I wouldn't sweat it. There is some slop in the timing gear and the distributor hear that you will never get rid of, and there will be some twist in the cam as you load it and unload it. All the engines I have ever worked on did this a bit. Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Rice

probably cam walk on spirial cut gears (cam gears that drive distributor).

  1. if not a roller cam just live with it.
  2. change timing chain and add cam button and reinforce timing cover target area (where button hits cover).
  3. find something else wrong in your life to take concentration off insignificant issues .

Alex Magdaleno wrote:

Reply to
oldcarfart

I think I'll live with is since most check involve taking part of the engine apart.

Reply to
Alex Magdaleno