1985 GL Wagon Sputtering

I have an 85 GL 4WD Wagon (not turbo). Had it for 11 years, and it's been an awesome car for a non-mechanic like me. Had the engine rebuilt about 9 years ago, have had some exhaust work done over the years, and have replaced a few parts (like the alternator) myself, but I haven't done a great job maintaining the car, so I'm lucky it's lasted me this long. About 220,000 miles.

I was going down the freeway the other day, going about 45 mph, accelerating in 4th gear, when the car just started sputtering, shaking, and chugging. I let off the gas a bit and it stopped. I was able to get home fine, but whenever I would give it too much gas it would start sputtering again.

It's been a little over a week since then, and I'm still having the same problem. Haven't done much freeway driving since then, but whenever I get up to about 40-45 mph and still accelerating at a decent rate, it starts chugging again. Accelerate more slowly and it's fine.

Any ideas? Like I said, I'm not a mechanic and I haven't maintained it very well, but I've poked around under the hood enough to know my way around.

I appreciate any insight you can give me. Thanks!

Reply to
Shawt Reteo

mulder

This sounds like a classic case of either a weak fuel pump, or more likely, a clogged fuel filter. In any case, the filter is easy to change and doesn't cost much.

Another possibility is water in the fuel, if the filter doesn't change matters then dump a can of drygas in the tank, or very high percentage rubbing alcohol.

JazzMan

Reply to
JazzMan

Thanks for the recommendations! I put a new fuel filter on this weekened and it worked like a charm!

Reply to
Shawt Reteo