1995 awd legacy man. trans rebuild

hello, I have a 95 awd manual legacy w/ 150k.

I have been told by several trans shops that the trans needs rebuilding - bearings appear to be shot.

1) what would cause the bearings to fail - trans oil has been changed and was not low

2) I've been quoted between 900 - 3500 for the work. has anyone else had this done? how much?

3) I'm in RTP, NC - any suggestions?

thanks mp

Reply to
mp

Let me guess... 150,000 miles?

Not in years, but the 3500 sounds high, but then I would go with the shop I knew and trusted

Let's see, several shops tell you to rebuild it, I would say ignore it and scrape the car when it dies

Reply to
Ralph E Lindberg

What are your symptoms? My 95 is only at 100k miles and runs great, but there is a strange "rubbing" noise that comes from the transmission - and your post makes me worry that it is impending bearing failure.

Reply to
Dominic Richens

We've had the car since it was new. It was passed down to me from my wife last summer (finally get AC that the 76 VW didn't have ;-) I haven't noticed a distinctive change in the "sound" of the trans - with road noise, engine noise, kids screaming ;-)

When the car is idling in neutral w/ teh clutch out, there is a rubbing(?) rumbling sound. When I press the clutch in, the sound pretty much stops. I was told that this is indicative of a bearing that is about to come apart & ruin my whole trans.

Driving in 1st is loudest, 2nd loud, 3rd ok, 4 quieter - but I still can't notice the gradual change in trans noise.

The other thing it is doing is making a clacking sound when turning - but not all the time. It is NOT the CVs. I had them replaced last year & 3 shops have inspected them. I think it is coming from the trans, but they do not know what it is. I'm thinking w/ the AWD, turning can put additional strain on the front drive axle bearing???

Could it be the rack & pinion? I have not ever had a steering problem. But, if it's the rack & the trans, I may be back in the 76 VW for another long summer.

Reply to
mp