1955 trans buy & rebuild

Greetings, New bug guy here. Had a few later bugs in my past but am now buying a 1955 bug - mostly complete. However, the front seats are not original and the engine is 1600 with accomodating trans.

To begin with, I wonder where I can get a 1955 trans and if it needs a rebuild, who can do this for this year?

For those very knowledgable for this year if I get a 55 trans, won't I need the other drivetrain components? - 1955 cv joints, driveshaft, backing plates , wheel cylinders for the brakes, etc. If so, I guess this would cost.

Thanks!!

I'm sure I will be posting more

Reply to
David G

'55 (and all the way till '69) did not have CV joints. The axle "swings" (pivots) on a unique joint right at the side of the tranny. The axle shafts are integral with the tranny.

It's possible that the tranny you have *is* original and has been modified to accept the 1600. If it's working correctly, why replace it?

Hunt up an old manual (Clymer or even Chilton's) that covers this year to get a better feel for the mechanics. You can find them on eBay, for example.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

The 55 trans will have a non-syncro 1st gear. A lot of people prefer to install a later 61-67 swingaxle tranny with a bus "hockey stick" for better drivability.That's what I plan to do with my '55 semaphore bug. Along with a

Reply to
bugman1955

Thanks for the info,

Bugman, wahtis the condiditon of the trans in your 55 bug, maybe I'll purchase it from you - but also, what is the consequence of having a non-synchro first gear.

Thanks Dave

Reply to
David G

You'll need to come to a complete stop before shifting into first.

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

But that's the fun of owning an early car :-) My Mini is like that, and my gearbox rebuild guy wanted to put a synchro first gear into it

- I told him I wanted it original!

It shouldn't be a problem anyway, how often do you shift into first when you are moving?!?

-- Howard Rose

1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe 1962 Austin Mini Deluxe 1964 Austin Mini Super Deluxe
(cars on website)
Reply to
Howard Rose

I do it almost every time I pull up to a stop-sign.

Not that I would _ever_ fail to come to a complete stop. ;-)

Max

Reply to
Max Welton