T-5 Trans rebuild

Anyone here ever take on a T-5 rebuild themselves? If so, Is it difficult? I've rebuilt several ford auto transmissions with good sucess but haven't tried a T-5 yet. I have a new ford racing T-5 rebuild kit and a new steel input shaft reatainer. I also have a good manual on the subject. It's a 89 WC T-5.

Reply to
Mark C.

Mark,

You don't need a bunch of special tools other than a damned good Torx set and a press. I pulled out the main shaft and took it to an automotive machine shop and had it pressed apart. Took it back and had it pressed back together. The hardest thing to replace is first gear or the synchronizer. The rest is not to bad. I thought the shift mechanism would be difficult, but it's not. I used a manual from the local Library.

As you may know the first and second gear synchronizers are the weak links. I put stock Ford parts back in because I was pressed for time. Get something better....

BTW: I have a press. No way could I fit the parts between the bottom rails. You have to press off third/fourth drum at least. You can change second gear and the synchronizer without removing the first/second drum. I would advise you replace first gear synchronizer, or you will wish you did. Don't use any fluid except what Ford recommends.

Good luck,

Al

Reply to
Big Al