2.5i or 3.0?

After over 8 years with our current Subaru, the wife is ready for a new one. My question is which engine? I know the 2.5 had some cooling problems (air that lead to premature head gasket failures). Are these fixed? We are going to be buying new, so I am most interested in 2006/2007 data. I don't think we "need" the extra power of the 3.0, but is it more reliable than the

2.5? I don't mind the small drop in fuel economy if the car lasts longer.

Thanks

Charles

Reply to
Charles Perry

The 2.5L engine HG problems were resolved in the model year 2003 and have not resurfaced. I'd rather have the F6 myself but realize the tune up cost will be higher. The F4 howerever needs to have a timing belt replaced at 105,000 miles which today cost is about 400-$600 dollars. Either engine should be outstanding but I opt for the 3.0. Just my thoughts. I am a 2000 Forester owner with 111,000 trouble free miles and it runs as new. Ed

Reply to
Edward Hayes

When does the H6 need timing work? Is it a belt, chain, or gear driven timing system? My wife's Legacy wagon had a timing belt change at 90,000. It was leaking a little oil then so we basically had two repairs done at the same time. Actually, I had them change/rebuild every maintenance item they could get to when the front of the engine was off. That was 20,000 miles ago and it still runs like a new one. Does she NEED a new car? No, her's is perfectly reliable and we don't hesitate to get in it and take a 500+ mile trip. Does she WANT a new car? You bet! But only a Subaru.

Charles

Reply to
Charles Perry

The F6 has a timing chain and is NOT a mantancence item.

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Reply to
bigjim

Whats the problem with them? We have never owned an Outback. We have a Legacy L Wagon.

Charles

Reply to
Charles Perry

Several:

  1. Seat doesnt go back enough- I'm 5'11"
  2. Armrest blocks window controls
  3. Overly insulated. Tries to be quiet at the expense of weight and "dead"feel.
  4. Seats arent as comfortable as '04. They are overly padded
  5. They lost the big foglights- a KEY outback design feature.
  6. Styl> > The 6 isnt much more powerful- I couldnt tell the difference. The 6
Reply to
bigjim

Although we do have the H6 and like it fine , I'm tempted to agree with most of your points, our '03 OBW is, I feel, better inside than the '06 loaner I had. More - I dunno, 'open' feeling and somewhat better layout I guess. The '06 did have a little less tranny whine - but overall - the '03 is a nicer drive.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan