2000 Outback "Smokey" undercarriage

Hi folks,

I've noticed after the past month or so the smell of exhaust coming from the undercarriage of my 2000 Outback (60k miles), usually noticeable after driving long distance, or while driving off-road, then coming to a stop. Recently, I noticed fumes coming from the exhaust system underneath the car, from a part of the system which I believe to be the rear catalytic converter, according to this WRX diagram:

I've been using the air conditioning constantly over the past few months, but can't necessarily link running the AC to this problem. I have noticed that while at idle with the AC on, there is no smell or fumes, and the AC drips condensation forward of, and to the right from the rear catalytic converter.

My initial thoughts was that the smell was "smoldering dirt" clining to the hot undercarriage, now I'm wondering if the AC condensation isn't being deflected at high speeds and running down the hot exhaust pipes, causing the steam. Or, there is a leak somewhere in the exhaust system. I have my doubts about a leak since the engine does not sound loud when it is being floored, and the car doesn't backfire. Also, I thought that catalytic converter problems were usually associated with a "rotten egg" smell.

If it is, indeed, AC dripping causing the issue, then this is likely a design flaw and perhaps someone on the board will be familiar with it.

Any advance thoughts before I take her to the dealer would be appreciated!

Thanks,

-Mike

Reply to
Mike Hardiman

Sounds like a leaking oil seal to me. It's a common problem. Get under the front of the car and feel along the front edge of the engine. Any oil dampness will work it's way back to the exhaust system and cause the smell. It does not take much to be offensive, and it will get worse over time.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Hrmmm... no puddles under the car, oil level is OK, and no smell when at idle, but I guess hard driving (highway, off-road) would force the oil to ooze out of a broken seal, while it might not leak otherwise?

Sounds like something I should address ASAP, especially since I just went over 60k miles (warranty limit) on this last roadtrip...

Thanks,

-Mike

Reply to
Mike Hardiman

You'll never see the oil go down, and it's unlikely there will be much of a drip in the beginning. The smell is the worst after a fast hot drive since the wind carries the oil back over the exhaust plumbing.

Good luck.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Hi,

You're getting to the mileage where it's not unlikely a cam seal or front main seal may be getting dry and stiff. As Jim said, it takes very little oil to start a good smell. My dealer parts guy recommends replacing the seals each time the t-belts are replaced. That's on a 60k mile belt replacement engine. Don't know if the seals are any better on the engines with the 100k mile belt replacements, but considering experience with several makes besides Subie, I doubt it. Toyotas, Hondas, Nissans, anything American: around 75k miles and seals seem to start leaking, maybe a bit more often in hot climates like mine. (Ever notice a main selling point of "hi-mileage" oils, designed for engines with over 75k miles, is a seal conditioner?)

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Check for oil leakage. My private garage mechanic says that every Subaru he has ever seen come into his shop has had oil leaks. They start out small, but grow exponentially as the car gets older/more mileage, ESPECIALLY the main seals, around the pan, and drivetrain bushings. Check the Transmission also as these are not exempt from "Subaru Leaker Disease" as he calls it. He blames poor quality gaskets used/installed bt FHI and he's noted the same oil leak issues on BOTH Japan and USA assembled Subaru's. Also he feels it may be an inherent design issue problem as Subaru engines run quite hot and under high internal pressures, feels Subaru Engineers back in Gumma need to re-think their gasket design technology fast.

footnote: Had work done last year at a Subaru 'Certified' Dealership in NJ that was a 4 min walk from Subaru America's Corporate HQ which is located in the same Town. Learned later this Dealer/Shop had a reputation for being among the 10 worst places in NJ, and their a Subaru Dealer! (my 2000 Outback needed work and they made problems worse) One would think that S of A would have common sense to choose Customer Service Ctrs better, esp in the same town as their National HQ is located !!

Find yerself a good private independent mechanic and forget goint to the Subaru Certified "Factory Service" Dealerships shops to find & fix your oil leaks. You'll save money and get a better job done with a private mechanic.

Reply to
Cathy7003

man oh man, you all are scaring me !!! i just bought a 2000 outback w/61,000 miles that runs great, but i guess i;ll have to keep my eye on this.

hey cathy, do you have a good subaru guy in the north jersey/ny area?

thanks

Reply to
morris

----- Original Message ----- From: "morris" Newsgroups: alt.autos.subaru Sent: Friday, July 30, 2004 9:29 PM Subject: Re: 2000 Outback "Smokey" undercarriage

Hi Morris.

Unfortunatly I do not know of any NNJ Subaru Service shops with a good rep as I'm in Sommers Point near AC. Best bet would be to check the BBB in your area.

Keep an eye each oil change for any evidence of oil leaks. Esp around the oil pan. You also may want to get the engine compartment professionally steam cleaned to spot any "leakers" while they are still small.

Good luck ; ) K.

Reply to
Cathy7003

Say,

One more place I'd look is the CV boot on the passengers side of the car. This may be about the time (1999) that Subaru found out the hard way that the CV grease was too thin and was finding its' way out of the boots---and more particularly right on to the catalytic converter. I've had this happen to my 92 Legacy wagon after having the axles regreased and new boots applied. I've also had the dreaded front crank seal AND oil pump O ring go out in the 97 Outback at about 71k. You'll know the latter from the former for sure!

Reply to
unc'
2000 Outback, bought new or used? Was the undercarriage coating recall just done? could be overspray on the exhaust and 2nd cat.
Reply to
Marc