2001 legacy outback remote control

I have a 2001 subaru legacy outback. The remote control is behaving erratically. Sometime it works fine. Sometime I have to press it 8 or 9 times for the door to lock or unlock. Both of my remote controls have this problem even with brand new battery. Anybody has a clue of what is wrong.

Thanks

Reply to
Lakepointe777

I have the same problem with my '99 Outback. At first I thought it was weather related as it seemed to not work properly during rainy days, but sometime during rainy days it works just fine. It got so bad one day that I had to use the key and deactiviate the alarm manually.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Rezsutek

Reply to
Robert L. Wilson

My '99 does this. Turns out that mashing on the buttons real hard breaks the metal battery holder loose from the circuit board on one side. I re-soldered the holder a couple times, but the kids use the remote and it breaks again. I ended up adding several layers ot tape to the back side of the remote to take up the room where the holder was being forced. It's been going for a couple months again....

-John O

Reply to
JohnO

Is this car new to you? Some newer cars have reduced range to help discourage 'code capture'. You may need to be closer than your old car. Also, try holding the remote under your chin - something about the signal reflcting off the chest seems to help - it does seem to on my wife's '03 Outback anyway - still, seems like I need to be within 30 feet most times.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Same with my 01.

To the OP:

Open up the remote and bend the contacts to hold the battery tighter and check for corrosion. It could be an intermittent battery connection at the root of your problem. Try the other remote as well.

-- Todd H.

Todd H.