2003 Outback and Chains

The manual says that you can't use tire chains with a 2003 Outback because there isn't enough clearance in the wheel wells. Has anybody tried using cable chains or the new diamond patter chains, which fit around the tires better?

Reply to
CorgiNW

snipped-for-privacy@no.spam wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I haven't tried chains, but i know that Scoobies are notorious for collecting ice/snow chunks in the wheel wells, which can be combatted with silicone.

Reply to
Le Bernadin

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 01:56:26 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@no.spam wrote: : The manual says that you can't use tire chains with a 2003 Outback : because there isn't enough clearance in the wheel wells. Has anybody : tried using cable chains or the new diamond patter chains, which fit : around the tires better?

When I got my 2003 OBW, I called Subaru about this. They referred me to the Security Chain Co. of Oregon. They had a chain (Shur Grip SZ 339) that is supposed to work. I have had them on the car, and they fit, but have never had to drive with them, so I don't know if they really work.

Reply to
George Schroeder

Reply to
CorgiNW