2005 OBW OEM Oil Filter Differences

I just did my first do-it-yourself oil change on our 2005 OBW ltd, and I noticed that the filter I bought from the dealer parts counter was smaller, black, and looked to have some internal differences than the one I took off which was from the same dealership doing the first oil change. The small one is PN 15208AA080 which the manual lists in a table as requiring 1 full turn to tighten. The larger filter is PN

15208AA060. It also is listed in the manual as requiring 3/4 turn to tighten. Another filter is listed for the turbo 2.5 and the non turbo 2.5; it is 15208AA009A. So, my question is which is the best? My guess is the turbo filter would be superior. Also, I would think the larger filter would have more filter media (better) than the smaller. It sure is hard to get an oil filter wrench to fit that small one. Any comments on a good wrench? I used a rubber strap type tool from Sears, but it's not good for tightening and comes off often. I just started the new subie out on Mobil 1 Synthetic 5W 30 with this oil change. It has 5545 miles, and I look forward to several hundred thousand more.

Later, Gregg

Reply to
G.R. Aydelotte

The best one is the one that is specified for your car. Bigger is not always better, and there may even be less filter material in it.

Reply to
Alan

That's just it: they are all specified for my car! I doubt they offer three different filters just for the joy of keeping up with the part numbers.

Gregg

Reply to
G.R. Aydelotte

Reply to
tcassette

However - the primary reason for the smaller turbo filter is because it's mounted extremely close to the exhaust heat shields on three sides. They introduced the smaller filter because they thought that having the filter so close might cause problems. It only increases the clearance by maybe 1/4", but I guess that was important.

However - the "turbo" filter is made in Japan, and appears to be of very high quality materials and design. I have a lot more confidence in this one over the Purolator made OEM filter.

Reply to
y_p_w